need some ideas on what to do with hides

xpertgreg

I have 2 doe hides down at a friend's house that he is going to tan hair off for me. I want to make something out of them. Let's hear some suggestions and maybe even see some pics of stuff you have made.

thanks
gw

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Two hides will make you a shirt, with short sleeves. Or a pair of Plains Indian style leggins` like the ones I`m wearin` in my avatar. Or a couple of pairs of moccasins or pouches. Endless possibilities.

xpertgreg

where would a fella find patterns for that stuff? or do they exsist?

thank Nic!

gw

Nugefan

where would a fella find patterns for that stuff? or do they exsist?

thank Nic!

gw

you are yer own pattern ..... layout an old shirt or pants , use a piece of cloth to get proper size before cutting into yer hides ..... on leggins pinch em around yer leg as ya go from top to bottom and stitch as ya go ....

make you a quiver , shootin' bag , and all the goodies Nick told ya about .......

check out this link for some samples ..... go to the Virtual Round Robin ......

http://historicaltrekking.com/forums/index.php?sid=e40e91ef2dba10cef03e11b4bae940f4

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Wow that is nice. Since I am looking to put 4 or 5 deer in the freezer this year and process them myself, I would like to try my hand at tanning.

What is the best, easiest way to tan the hides?

Us Abos have different ideas on what is best. I personally prefer the dryscrape braintan method myself.

GAnaturalist

Wow that is nice. Since I am looking to put 4 or 5 deer in the freezer this year and process them myself, I would like to try my hand at tanning.

What is the best, easiest way to tan the hides?

Thanks, but that bookbag made me the "wierd-o kid" in school. I still used it though, right through college, and by that time I was wearing a sport-cut buckskin jacket to classes. I did not wear my buckskins to parties though, I was afraid of various liquor stains, lol.

Last edited: