GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Other Faiths
Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Default The whole Naming your kid thread

Migel, you said black people are the only group who uses fictitious people to name their kids. I disagreed and gave you examples.

You brought up Native American's naming tradition, a people I have worked very very closely with and been around my entire life. I would love hear your thoughts on the Native American's.

I will still say black people are not the only people who do this. Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Native American, and just regular people do this all the time.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:57 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

The context of the discussion, which context is very important when starting a debate, was related to the 4 "avious" boys arrested for the murders in Social Circle recently.

This was offered as a response to my comment about black people making up names ending in "avious" for their sons.

It all started in this thread:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=909453

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambush80
Oh, I get it. I thought you were referencing a generic philosopher from antiquity. Now I understand that you were saying that I sounded like someone with an Afrocentric name. Do you know why they name their children like that? It was common to give slaves ancient Greek or Roman names like Titus, Portia, Antonius, etc. It showed how erudite the owners were. Modern blacks took that tradition and made it their own often by mixing ancient Greek and Roman names with African names. They took lemons and made lemonade. Thus Quantavious, Sheniquia, Appolonia, etc.
I responded with this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes
I would venture to bet that if you polled 10,000 black mama's not a single one of them would have a clue of the origins of the "avious" naming habit.
To which you responded with this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotes
No, they are not the only ones. There is a huge swath of people who name their children after fictitious characters.

Luke, John, Paul, Peter are a few off the top of my head I can think of.
To which I redirected you to start a thread here to debate your belief that these people never existed.

In so much as Native Americans go, I provided you a thread as to their tradition and see where it has little bearing on this forum, but could be stretched to do so when applying their belief system to the topic.

Here's the link I provided for the Native American topic.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ming-tradition

Now that everybody else over here is up to speed you may begin wherever you want. My link to the NA naming topic is sufficient for my response and shows very little evidence to support your claim.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Actually, I don't know how you did all that but thank you for the quotes from the other thread. Maybe it is harder to do on a phone. I also didn't know where to put this so I jammed it in here.

But your article is very good at pointing out how they get their names not whether they are based on things that truly existed.

There is no such thing as a "Brave Eagle" or things like that.

Those are names given to them by their people based on who they are.

And that is similar to all people who named their children after stories. You thought it was stupid. I say it is much more common than you will admit.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:24 AM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes View Post
Actually, I don't know how you did all that but thank you for the quotes from the other thread. Maybe it is harder to do on a phone. I also didn't know where to put this so I jammed it in here.

But your article is very good at pointing out how they get their names not whether they are based on things that truly existed.

There is no such thing as a "Brave Eagle" or things like that.

Those are names given to them by their people based on who they are.

And that is similar to all people who named their children after stories. You thought it was stupid. I say it is much more common than you will admit.
It is near impossible with a phone.

Given that we are in a religious forum, and given that the Native Americans various forms of religion were closely connected with nature, in fact intertwined with nature, naming their children at some point in their path through life after an observed animal was nothing out of the ordinary.

Whether we agree or not on an Eagles ability to be brave or not is something you'll have to go into more depth on. I certainly believe they possess more of that trait than a coward.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:04 AM
GON Severe Weatherman

I suppose, reading other articles on the subject, you would have to delineate the fact that we are debating "legal names" not Nick Names or Spirit Creature Names.

As noted in this link:
http://www.native-americans-online.c...can-names.html

Quote:
Legal names are given, but Native American names are earned.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:21 PM

Yes earned after traits the person possess. It was a good article.

But we are in the religious forum we should talk about what you were upset about. The luke, john, paul analogy. People of all types name their kids after fictional characters or people. No matter if it is even your great grandfather. Your kid will never know him even though you can tell him all the good stories about him. You are just making the legend of why they are named.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:21 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes View Post
Yes earned after traits the person possess. It was a good article.

But we are in the religious forum we should talk about what you were upset about. The luke, john, paul analogy. People of all types name their kids after fictional characters or people. No matter if it is even your great grandfather. Your kid will never know him even though you can tell him all the good stories about him. You are just making the legend of why they are named.
People that actually existed are not fictional characters.

You were directed to start the thread here because you insinuated that the names from the Bible were not actually people that existed.
Now you are backtracking to; If someone in today's generation never met or knew them then they never existed.

That is some strange logic.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:40 PM

While the names that we call the disciples were not their given names, the people did exist, and there are multitudes of documentation that they lived. All of them were given arabic, roman, or jewish names at birth, and the names were angilized when the Bible was translated from Greek and Hebrew into Latin and then English
Old 11-21-2017, 06:54 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
While the names that we call the disciples were not their given names, the people did exist, and there are multitudes of documentation that they lived. All of them were given arabic, roman, or jewish names at birth, and the names were angilized when the Bible was translated from Greek and Hebrew into Latin and then English
But apparently since we never met them they are fictitious.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:00 PM

I never met Olbigears either, and I can only wish he was fictional