GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Leases and Land Management and Gardening > Food Plots/Supplemental Feeding and Gardening

Old 12-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Default Subsoiler Advice

Iím needing to buy a sobsoiler to break up my plots this spring before I apply lime. I have a 33hp 4wd drive tractor. Can anyone recommend a subsoiler or point me in the right direction?

Do I need one with a shear pin?

Iíve looked at the ones at tractor supply. Are they any good?

Any other advice for my endeavor?
Old 12-02-2017, 10:37 PM

Most of the implements I have seen at TS is not very stout. Probably find a better one on the market bulletin or craigs list etc. The only advise I can give is go SLOW. You will be able to figure out pretty early how far to sink the blade without raising up the front of your tractor. Also, be very careful around the edges of your plots if you have standing timber. Roots run out under the surface and will stop your subsoiler dead still. Be safe.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:02 AM

I got mine at Everything Attachments and am happy with it

https://www.everythingattachments.co...ilers-s/75.htm

Old 12-03-2017, 05:37 PM

You're gonna need a lot more than 35 hp to pull a subsoiler
Old 12-03-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2bowhunt View Post
35 will pull one about 8 inches deep in good dirt
Old 12-03-2017, 09:38 PM

I bought one of the TSC models this year. Used it on a 22hp MF GC1710 subcompact tractor. I was able to run the shank almost down to the cross-member on my second pass through a garden spot that, as far as I know, has never been broken that deep.

Smaller tractor will not break through roots, but as long as you don't hit big rocks or big roots, the smaller HP tractor should help 'protect' the subsoiler.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:18 PM

X2 on going slow.
I used one on my 32 hp Kubota 4wd and was doing great in my Fl sandy soil. As I was almost finished I kicked up the speed.
What could go wrong?
I hit a buried stump and bent it like a pretzel.
Lucky for me the subsoiler was the only casualty.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck5 View Post
I got mine at Everything Attachments and am happy with it

https://www.everythingattachments.co...ilers-s/75.htm

But you have that soft soil with a 50+hp tractor. My little 30 Hp 2wd just spins the tires with a subsoiler.Talbot Co has more rocks and roots than hard packed red clay.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:18 PM

Find a "Fred Cain" on CL. It has a shear pin. I have recently bought a heavy duty coulter to attach to mine to cut the sod in front of the main beam. This is going to help that little bit that sometimes builds up on the main beam.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 PM

My old Fordson Super Dexta pulls my subsoiler perfectly . Water in the tires and the lift set to lift slightly when it senses a hangup
Old 12-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakajak View Post
But you have that soft soil with a 50+hp tractor. My little 30 Hp 2wd just spins the tires with a subsoiler.Talbot Co has more rocks and roots than hard packed red clay.
LOL, don't think I have ever used those words, "soft soil" to describe what I plant in!! The subsoiler can make my tires spin too when I connect with some of those rocks!!!!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
LOL, don't think I have ever used those words, "soft soil" to describe what I plant in!! The subsoiler can make my tires spin too when I connect with some of those rocks!!!!
Its easy when you plant on old garden spots.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:47 AM

Check these out, I have one and it is top notch.

http://www.dirtdogmfg.com/Disc-Harro...iler-v-40.html
Old 12-05-2017, 10:50 AM

If you're just doing plots why not buy a field cultivator? They're much more effective and faster than a subsoiler.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanjohn View Post
If you're just doing plots why not buy a field cultivator? They're much more effective and faster than a subsoiler.
Will that break the hard soil that I am trying to accomplish? I am still learning my way through different implements and whatís best for my needs with my tractor.

What size cultivator should I look for my size tractor?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:25 AM

Subsoiling is "vertical tillage", which is intended to fracture the soil, as deep as possible, to break up any hardpan that exists. Fractured and broken up hardpan, allows rain water to go deep in to the soil and sort of saves it for later vs having it run off the top of your ground, to go elsewhere.

A fractured soil, also allows the roots of whatever you plant go deeper, to pull up minerals from below, to be used by the plant, or to be used later for the next crop.

You will also find that if you sub soil, fracture the hardpan and allow 2 months worth of rains penetrate your soil, working up your ground will be a lot easier, for a longer period of time.

The only caution for subsoiling, is don't do it when it's too wet, because you will just slice into the soil and not do any good. Doing it too dry and it will be extremely hard to pull with your 33 hp tractor, but it all depends on the type of soil you have. Most of my soils are hard red clay.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:28 AM

Mine is the Fred Cain model with a shear pin. You're welcome to borrow it and see how it does with your tractor, but it might be January before I can bring it back up here.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2bowhunt View Post
I subsoiled many acres with a 30 HP tractor. The only time I had problems was when I hit a 6" root. It would stop the tractor instantly. It never hurt the subsoiler. Mine has a shear pin. I now use a stronger tractor but that was all I had then.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:23 PM

It is a very slow process to subsoil.Things can break quickly. Make sure you have extra shear pins on your subsoiler.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Mine is the Fred Cain model with a shear pin. You're welcome to borrow it and see how it does with your tractor, but it might be January before I can bring it back up here.
Wow that is an extremely nice offer. If I have not found one by then I would love to take you up on it.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakajak View Post
It is a very slow process to subsoil.Things can break quickly. Make sure you have extra shear pins on your subsoiler.
I dont mind slow as I have plenty of time and love my tractor time. That is also why I am planning to start in January to have everything ready to lime by the end of February. I just want to make sure I am going to get the best tool for my need.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:40 PM

When they say slow, it means low range, first gear. Not 4th. If you have draft on your 3 pt hitch, set it so it will lift the subsoiler when it senses the load spiking.

Get one with the shear pin (the dirt dog one linked above is the same design as Fred Cain's were). Use # 2 bolts to replace your shear pin if you break it, never use hardened bolts. It is designed to shear to protect your lift as well as the implement. The TSC ones do not have a shear pin, & they are made of very low quality steel (having broken one in half, I can't even say for sure it IS steel).

Be really patient, & if the ground is hard, make 2 passes, the first shallow & the second down the same groove running deeper. If you can establish the depth of your hard pan, you only need to go about 2" deeper than the bottom of it. There is no benefit to running deeper.

If you have a lot of residue, it may begin to build up in front of the shaft & it will trench a bit instead of sliding through the soil. If this occurs, raise it a little & let the plant material slide to the side then drop it back down.

The key to successful subsoiling is doing it when the conditions are right: if it is too moist, the subsoiler will just cut a slot in the soil. Too dry, & it either will not penetrate at all or it will shake & shatter & create huge clods that are the devil to harrow into a decent seedbed.
When it is perfect, the soil will lift slightly & you will see cracks radiating out in all directions for about 18" from your center. In very sandy soil, you will not see this, obviously.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:36 PM

The one I have has a shear pin and it has a spacer or what ever you call it around the bolt.
Where can you get the spacer? Local hardware didn't have the correct size. I've only broke the pin once and didn't loose the spacer cause it stays in the middle piece of the SS, just wanted a backup in case I dropped it in the field and couldn't find it.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
The one I have has a shear pin and it has a spacer or what ever you call it around the bolt.
Where can you get the spacer? Local hardware didn't have the correct size. I've only broke the pin once and didn't loose the spacer cause it stays in the middle piece of the SS, just wanted a backup in case I dropped it in the field and couldn't find it.
Take shear pin to hardware store with you. Go to the pipe section and find one that fits reasonably well, buy a section of it and cut to length. Spacers can be made of lots of things, even a solid piece of steel with a hole of the correct size drilled into it. Also several washers stacked together will work in a pinch.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:17 PM

Thanks, I always knew you'd be good for something