Core locs misfiring

lonewolf247

The offending round? Naturally it was a Remington Core Lokt, 165-grain, .30-'06.

That's been my bullet of choice for over 20 years! All these core lokt misfires are starting to worry me. I bought a couple boxes of Premium ballistic tips in 30-06 150 grain, that I caught on clearance. I'm tempted to make the switch!

tcward

I do know that Remington primers for handloading are the absolute worse kind you can buy.

I had a misfire with 130 grain win 270 core lokt. Marginal shot at a deer I probably should have passed on. I thought at the time it was just Divine Providence! You guys are starting to bum me out. (Purchased 5 boxes at once so I would have a supply from the same lot) rechamber the round back at the truck and boom.

furtaker

I had a misfire with 130 grain win 270 core lokt. Marginal shot at a deer I probably should have passed on. I thought at the time it was just Divine Providence! You guys are starting to bum me out. (Purchased 5 boxes at once so I would have a supply from the same lot) rechamber the round back at the truck and boom.

If the round fired the second time you pulled the trigger then it sounds to me like your firing pin didn't hit the primer hard enough.

If the round fired the second time you pulled the trigger then it sounds to me like your firing pin didn't hit the primer hard enough.

Could very well have been the case. It is a late 60's model 700. I had a little regret after I posted about core lokt ammo in the thread. The internet can amplify a non issue and I cannot say with any certainty that it was the ammo and not the firearm.

rosewood

Or, the primer wasn't seated completely. Hard to say for sure.

rosewood

Could very well have been the case. It is a late 60's model 700. I had a little regret after I posted about core lokt ammo in the thread. The internet can amplify a non issue and I cannot say with any certainty that it was the ammo and not the firearm.

Might want to give the bolt a good cleaning. Could be years of crud in there causing drag if you have never cleaned it and or a weak firing pin.

On the other hand, it could have been bad ammo.

Rosewood

rmp

I too have seen good primer strikes on core-lokt ammo but the rounds never fire. 7mm-08 cartridges. BTW, this happened to a good friend.
I make my own ammo and I've never bought a Remington primer. Don't plan to either.

Buckman18

I am brand loyal until something like this happens. Not worth the risk to snap on a trophy. I'll be switching and when I find something I like I'll be shooting them for decades lol.

Jigman,

I'd suggest you try the Winchester Deer Season XP's. You can find them at the Clayton Walmart for about the same price ~$20/box. My old man and I made the switch a couple years back and have been very impressed.

We switched from green and yellow to grey and black years ago after core locts starting failing on us.

Bob Wallace

They had a bad run of ammo (ie primers) 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I was a victim of them on two huge bucks. They heard the hammer drop and took off. I used that box for target practice and all the rest went off just fine.
I used a new box of 165gr this past week and had no issues.
Last year I didn't have faith in them and used Winchester PP with great success.

Jester896

Senior Clown
hate to bring up an old one.

Guy brought about 50 .270 hand loads in to my friends shop. He had someone load them for him and they used Remington primers. Yep...you guessed it ...more than 4 that he tried to use wouldn't fire...wasn't a light strike either. Going to pull those CT Silver Tips ever so gently... dump the powder.. and run them through a neck sizer and re prime them and put them back together.

lonewolf247

I hate to keep hearing all these misfires! I'm sitting on 5-6 boxes of core lokts, with 2 rifles sighted in to them, in the middle of the season.facepalm: I guess I'm gonna finish my season, and switch next year, at this point.

It's a shame, because back in the day, core lokts were deadly, and when you pulled the trigger, you'd get a boom!:smash:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
A couple of years ago I bought a problem child rifle. Long story short I shot several boxes of ammo thru it trying to identify the problem. All 165 gr. core-lokts. Didn't have a single miss-fire.
I bought a new 30-06 at the start of the year. I put a box of cor-lokts for fowling shots or to see if I was on paper thru it. Not one miss-fire. Seems like it might have been a bad run of primers.

I wonder if you could contact Remington with the lot # of your ammo and get an answer, as to whether its suspect or not.

dick7.62

I have mostly used core-lokts since 1968. I have never had one fail to fire. And I have killed hundreds of deer. On the other hand I had a Winchester that performed badly on a deer(it fired). I would only use Winchester to see if my gun will shoot.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had two misfires while hunting with them last season. The mid-season hog was bad enough but the December buck was a deal breaker. I'm using Barnes Vor-tx now. Cost is higher of course but so far they do what they're supposed to do.

Chase4556

Man, don't let King Killer Delete see this post, he is all about them corelokts.

They gained their notoriety because they were the first controlled expansion, and I believe bonded core bullets. Now days, there are plenty of bullets that IMO are better and are loaded to better tolerances.

At that price point, its hard to beat Federal fusion, federal blue box, or hornady whitetail ammo for off the shelf stuff.