Homemade gun rest..

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Well, I thought about buying a gun rest to take to the range and hold my rifles while I cleaned them and just couldn't break down to pay for one so I made one. It sits on 4 legs that are adjustable and I sewed 2 leather gloves to cover the front and back holders and lined them with a compressed foam for a tight and snug fit. Painted and polyurethaned it and will take it to the range this Friday and see how she does... Sure does beat using a guncase and pillow for a rest..:shoot:

That is my Browning 300mag sitting in the holder.

gunrestfront.jpg

gunrestback.jpg

seaweaver

Hey That looks good!
Are the bases sitting on embedded nuts? I see the top stop nuts below the knobs.
cw

Browning Slayer

Hey That looks good!
Are the bases sitting on embedded nuts? I see the top stop nuts below the knobs.
cw

Yeah, the legs actually came off of some modular furniture I had sitting around work. They are actually embedded an inch into the wood. Works like a charm!

DSCF0049.jpg

Last edited:

whitworth

Pretty

But I cart enough stuff to the rifle range.

I opted for a lightweight plastic, adjustable rest, I bought at a big box store, for less than $20. I hold it down on the bench with a reloader shotshell bag, loaded with sand. I use it when shooting and cleaning from the breech end.

Let's see. I load up an entire hand truck with my rifle boxes, tool boxes filled with ammunition, cleaning supplies, targets, etc; the wood target frame; the one that doesn't move in the wind; the plastic rifle rest; the sandbag.

One hand truck delivery, of all my stuff to the rifle bench, is enough for me.

But that rest, sure is pretty. Looks pretty heavy too.
If you're not using one, you probable need a hand truck for all your gear.

Browning Slayer

But I cart enough stuff to the rifle range.

I opted for a lightweight plastic, adjustable rest, I bought at a big box store, for less than $20. I hold it down on the bench with a reloader shotshell bag, loaded with sand. I use it when shooting and cleaning from the breech end.

Let's see. I load up an entire hand truck with my rifle boxes, tool boxes filled with ammunition, cleaning supplies, targets, etc; the wood target frame; the one that doesn't move in the wind; the plastic rifle rest; the sandbag.

One hand truck delivery, of all my stuff to the rifle bench, is enough for me.

But that rest, sure is pretty. Looks pretty heavy too.
If you're not using one, you probable need a hand truck for all your gear.

The rest actually weigh just under 6 lbs (non pressure treated wood). I use to take a cart to the range but now that my range is at my land (200 yard range) all I have to do is pull my truck within 15 ft of the table and I ride the 4 wheeler to pull and place the targets.. Can't get much easier than that.. Not to mention there's never a wait..:fine:

Latest posts