Red Stag - Argentina 15 Apr 2012

Texhorns

Arrived in Patagonia as the rut and the roaring were winding down. The Red Stag sounds almost like a lion roaring - very cool to hear in the wild.

Got it done, but it was difficult to stalk with a bow. The Red Deer are very wary and the terrain is wide open with little to hide an approach to bow range.

My Guide didn't speak a word of English. As we got close he held up 4 fingers - I thought 40 yds, and let go the first arrow. Passed low (40 Meters!! not Yards - may not have mattered). Second shot put the animal down. We got closer and I put a few more in him to end it as swiftly as possible.

I had put a good stalk (closed to 25 yds) on a larger Stag 2 days earlier, but passed on the shot with 3 days to go. Lesson for me there was, if you have a good shot - take it.

On my last day I missed a 54yd shot on potential World Record Pere David's Deer (free range). Maybe next year!

OBTW, the dust particles are actually ash from the volcano in Chile that erupted last year. A fine powder coating everywhere - sometimes inches deep. Always blown by high winds. Hopefully they will have good rain and snow for their winter to knock the ash down and wash it away.

I am going back next year for "El Grande", the Monster Red Stag that played games with me for days. Got to 70 yds a few times, but never able to get the draw on him for a good shot. That deer has almost 100 more inches of antler than the one I took.

Blessed to hunt!

Attachments

• Red Stag lo rez.jpg
    Red Stag lo rez.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,167

walkinboss01

Wow!! That's a big animal. Congrats.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!

deerehauler

Congrats on the Stag!!