best hounds/dogs for hunting bear?

Etter2

Banned
Walkers. hands down. It's not an opinion. It's fact. The competitions all prove it. A walker dog is the best hound on the planet and the greatest friend in the world.

GA DAWG

Walkers. hands down. It's not an opinion. It's fact. The competitions all prove it. A walker dog is the best hound on the planet and the greatest friend in the world.
Now there's a man that knows what he's talking about:)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The best hounds/dogs for hunting bear are good bear dogs. I've seen some good ones of every breed (even those overgrown beagles ::ke: ) and mixture thereof. And I've seen a lot more worthless ones than good ones of all breeds. I'm kinda partial to Plotts myself, as I grew up hunting in the county where they originated. My dad used to do some bear hunting with Von Plott, Taylor Crockett, and some of that generation of bear hunters. The two best bear dogs I've ever personally been in the woods with were "Ol' Squirt," who was a black-backed, brindle-legged Plott, and "Ol' Red," a black-backed redbone cross of some sort, probably Plott/redbone. The three best bear dogs I ever owned myself were a bluetick/English/walker cross, a registered Plott gyp, and a Plott/bluetick cross.
As my dad, who spent his whole life following hounds of all sorts, used to say: "I don't care if it's purple and green polka-dotted and its ears grow out its arse, if it'll run and fight a bear, it's a bear dog. " :D

Etter2

Banned
I was half joking there but I do believe every word. Tons of dogs are fantastic hounds, but if you're picking a breed, Walkers are my favorite. I believe there's no difference in their trailing or treeing ability, but walkers will hunt harder and longer IMO.

bullsprig1100

There is a place for several different types of dogs in a bear pack. I like a good nose for finding a bear, and Walkers do a good job at that for sure, as do other hounds. I also need trail and pack dogs that will run the bear and help out when its jumped. That job can be filled by a variety of breeds, Plotts, Walkers Redbones, blueticks etc. Then I like at least one or two good hair pullers. They convince the bear that its better to climb than to stay on the ground and fight. Plotts fill that roll nicely, as does my American Leopard Hound, and I've seen all breeds that can handle this job too. Bear hunting is a team sport for the hounds, and it takes all sorts to make it work. Just my 2 cents!:flag:

Rocket41

competition coon hunting and bear hunting are two very different things. just sayin. and has far as walkers being the BEST dogs on the planet... that can be YOUR opinion.. but it is sure not a fact..... yea they maybe be fast track dogs and stylish tree dogs... but they dont have the grit to catch fight and tree a mean bear..... if you wanna start a pack of bear dogs.. better get a plott!!!!!!!!

hoghunter007

competition coon hunting and bear hunting are two very different things. just sayin. and has far as walkers being the BEST dogs on the planet... that can be YOUR opinion.. but it is sure not a fact..... yea they maybe be fast track dogs and stylish tree dogs... but they dont have the grit to catch fight and tree a mean bear..... if you wanna start a pack of bear dogs.. better get a plott!!!!!!!!

amen

GA DAWG

I saw a walker,redbone and bluetick tree one the other night. Have saw a good many treed actually. Never saw the first plor under one.

Rocket41

Congrats on treeing a bear with your walker redbone and bluetick.... I'm sure your a coon hunter so I hope you beat your dogs for running trash!!! Come on up and I'll show a real bear dog tree a bear or a real coon dog tree a coon.... a real live raccoon......

GA DAWG

What other kinds of coons are they besides real live ones? You coon hunt plots to? I guess you hunt a lot alone.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
calm down fellas. NO ONE MENTIONED ENGLISH HOUNDS!!!!!!!!!! i hunt english!

Au contraire:

The best hounds/dogs for hunting bear are good bear dogs. I've seen some good ones of every breed (even those overgrown beagles ::ke: ) and mixture thereof. And I've seen a lot more worthless ones than good ones of all breeds. I'm kinda partial to Plotts myself, as I grew up hunting in the county where they originated. My dad used to do some bear hunting with Von Plott, Taylor Crockett, and some of that generation of bear hunters. The two best bear dogs I've ever personally been in the woods with were "Ol' Squirt," who was a black-backed, brindle-legged Plott, and "Ol' Red," a black-backed redbone cross of some sort, probably Plott/redbone. The three best bear dogs I ever owned myself were a bluetick/English/walker cross, a registered Plott gyp, and a Plott/bluetick cross.
As my dad, who spent his whole life following hounds of all sorts, used to say: "I don't care if it's purple and green polka-dotted and its ears grow out its arse, if it'll run and fight a bear, it's a bear dog. " :D

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I am surprised no one mentioned Black Mouth Curs.

Etter2

Banned
Plotts are too ugly and mean for me. Check out what most of the western bear guides run....the guys who run bears for a living 4+ months of the year. Most are walkers with some blueticks thrown in.

It's a dumb argument. Everybody has a different opinion, but I bet if you took a poll of every houndsman in the country, walkers would get more than 50 percent of the vote.

bullsprig1100

Not really interested in what 'most' bear guides run in the country. I run what works for me. Look what 'most' U.S citizens voted for in the last election. Nuff said. Here in the mountains and on the Eastern coast of NC, I see a bunch of different breeds being run on bear. They all have their purpose. Etter2, how many bear hounds you got? What are they?............:banginghe

Rocket41

Not really interested in what 'most' bear guides run in the country. I run what works for me. Look what 'most' U.S citizens voted for in the last election. Nuff said. Here in the mountains and on the Eastern coast of NC, I see a bunch of different breeds being run on bear. They all have their purpose. Etter2, how many bear hounds you got? What are they?............:banginghe

Exactly......... I'm not gonna lie I'm a plott man..... But one of the top bear dogs I've seen was 3/4 plott and 1/4 English... It's all about traits and bloodlines.... The guy that started the post asked what the best hounds for BEAR HUNTING are....... Not coon hunting.....

Etter2

Banned

Don't have any bear dogs, but I do know dogs and have probably killed more bears than most folks on this board, and judging by your profile pic, you aint chasing anything over any mtns.