GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Muzzleloading

Old 09-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Default I'm sad....

I had planned on buying a flintlock long rifle this past spring to hunt with this fall but financial road blocks kept getting in my way. Now the season is almost here and there will be no spark, boom, meat for me.

All is not completely lost, I'll take my percussion Hawkens to the woods and with some luck put some meat in the freezer. Just really wanted a flintlock for this season.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:40 PM

My advice is to enjoy your percussion during this deer season. Then as soon as possible get that flintlock and begin shooting it. For the best results you need to really get to know your rifle and this doesn't happen overnight.
Have you made your choice for your flintlock?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:42 PM

I had entertained the thought of getting a kit from Chambers and doing it myself, but given the cost of the parts, I've decided to find someone to assemble it for me - an Isaac Haines in .54 caliber. I've made some connections this year via the CLA on Facebook with some gunsmiths who can do the work. A little more money invested but I'll end up with a nicer rifle. I'm going to keep it fairly plain.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM

Go no further than here:

flintshooter@outlook.com

TOM WATSON
Old 09-14-2017, 01:14 AM

That's the way to do it...start with the best.

But check out your gunsmith real good. A buddy of mine contracted with a gunmaker he met at an arts and crafts fair. The guy said all the right things I guess cause my buddy just plunked down his money.
His rifle ended up being a piece of c***! He brought me the rifle to tune the lock as the trigger pull was gritty and real heavy. I took the lock out and the inside was almost rusted beyond saving. Just a couple of weeks from the builder.
I told him to send it back to the builder. There was other things wrong with the rifle too.
I don't know Tom Watson but if Muldoon recommends him then I'd check him out.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Default Rifle Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
That's the way to do it...start with the best.

But check out your gunsmith real good. A buddy of mine contracted with a gunmaker he met at an arts and crafts fair. The guy said all the right things I guess cause my buddy just plunked down his money.
His rifle ended up being a piece of c***! He brought me the rifle to tune the lock as the trigger pull was gritty and real heavy. I took the lock out and the inside was almost rusted beyond saving. Just a couple of weeks from the builder.
I told him to send it back to the builder. There was other things wrong with the rifle too.
I don't know Tom Watson but if Muldoon recommends him then I'd check him out.
Tom is from Georgia; builds excellent ML and has been so for over 40 years. His son is also building now and based upon Tom's ethical bearing I'd venture to say...."Like father....like son!" I purchased a flintlock from Tom couple years ago and the quality of work is excellent and the rifle is a proverbial tack-driver of .50 caliber!