GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Bear Hunting

Old 08-15-2017, 02:41 PM

There is already a little climbing going on. Not a lot, but a little. I have been finding places where squirrels have been cutting down red oak acorns and eating them, and a few days ago, I found a white oak where squirrels had been cutting down and eating acorns.
The days are getting shorter, and opening day draws nigh. The anticipation is killing me!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:08 PM

It was the only climbing tree i found in over 5 miles of prime country. The bears are there just not in the oaks yet.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2017, 08:00 PM

Got out yesterday, oaks looking good. Decent size, decent number.
Chestnuts around 2200-2400 were starting to brown, so white oaks won't be too much further behind.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:36 AM

Was up at Pisgah national Forest and saw tons of white oak acorns at 6000 to #6400 feet
Old 08-31-2017, 08:07 PM

Has anyone scouted Chattahoochee in the last week or planning to go this weekend? Jbogg, kyle?

I'm hoping the crop won't be as big as last year. I feel like we've had a bumper crop for 3-4 years straight...
Old 08-31-2017, 08:16 PM

I have. And went with the Killer one day also. Looks like there are gonna be several red oaks. There's a few white oaks, but many are faulty.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:42 PM

As Buckman said the white oaks are spotty. I haven't found any trees that are loaded. Most of the acorns are up high in the crowns of the trees. I have seen some Reds that are slap loaded. Should be a good year.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbogg View Post
As Buckman said the white oaks are spotty. I haven't found any trees that are loaded. Most of the acorns are up high in the crowns of the trees. I have seen some Reds that are slap loaded. Should be a good year.
Nice!

Let's hope the trees that do have them will be magnets.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:20 PM

Let's all be cautious though! I am thinking over the last few years on the acorn reports here. I don't remember if it was last year or the one before, but we had lots of reports of spotty crops, and ended up with bumper crops. I'll have to dig through the threads to remind me which year it was. The crop can fool the naked eye. I say prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.
With several reports of spotty crops here, it might be wise to cover a lot of ground in your usual spots early on to confirm! I have seen quite a lot of white oak acorns on the ground over the last few weeks. Seems to be the work of squirrels. I am anxious to see what the drop is going to shape up to be two weeks from now!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Let's all be cautious though! I am thinking over the last few years on the acorn reports here. I don't remember if it was last year or the one before, but we had lots of reports of spotty crops, and ended up with bumper crops. I'll have to dig through the threads to remind me which year it was. The crop can fool the naked eye. I say prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.
With several reports of spotty crops here, it might be wise to cover a lot of ground in your usual spots early on to confirm! I have seen quite a lot of white oak acorns on the ground over the last few weeks. Seems to be the work of squirrels. I am anxious to see what the drop is going to shape up to be two weeks from now!
Yea, I've been going back and forth myself all summer. While I don't think its going to be a bumper crop there are acorns that you can't see. They are in the crown and very hard to see. I cut several whites the other day that I looked over pretty good and only seen a few till they hit the ground. ALOT more than I thought. Time will tell.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:54 PM

Scouted a little bit this week. Found a few white oaks falling already (may have been the wind a few days ago...) but every place the acorns had fallen had a ton of sign! Deer and bear.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 AM

I have never seen more green white oak acorns on the ground in my life. I don't know if they are just slap loaded and the limbs can't take anymore or why so many green ones are falling. I know green acorns hit the ground but I mean literally covered up with green white oaks. Anyone else?
Old 09-07-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton Mike View Post
I have never seen more green white oak acorns on the ground in my life. I don't know if they are just slap loaded and the limbs can't take anymore or why so many green ones are falling. I know green acorns hit the ground but I mean literally covered up with green white oaks. Anyone else?
I'm seeing a normal amount.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The mtn man View Post
I'm seeing a normal amount.
Just wait until the rain and winds from Irma pass through here. I'd say the acorns are fixing to fall en masse.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:21 PM

Yesterday around 3600' there were lots of red oaks both on the ground and in the trees. All the white oaks seem to be already on the ground with very few left in the trees. Lots of miles walked and only found two trees bears have climbed.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgeorgiasportsman View Post
Just wait until the rain and winds from Irma pass through here. I'd say the acorns are fixing to fall en masse.
I was just thinking the same thing about an hour ago. I was out picking up Chinese chestnuts. I looked up in the tree and saw tons of burs still hanging and I thought "yep, those will be on the ground Wednesday!" Same for the acorns. If we get much wind with the rain from Irma, there's gonna be a boatload of acorns on the ground real quick and in a hurry!!
Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 AM

With all the acorns this year I can't find any concenation of critter sign. No need for bears to climb trees imho. On the upside seems like the squirrels have returned to the mountains after that drought year we had.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 AM
Default Check the regs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Hey Ripple, I've been seeing muscadine vines absolutely slap loaded in several places this year, but low down. Anywhere 1,400'-2,000' +-. I have seen vines slap hanging heavy with fruit. Unfortunately, these are not in places that I hunt, so they don't matter much to me.

I did find a place on Wilson Shoals WMA that I am going to sit on a few times. It is a persimmon tree loaded with fruit, and already aborting some, and it is dead in the middle of a stand of pine trees that are covered in muscadine vines, and they also are loaded and dropping a few early. It's low...around 1,200' maybe. Could be a little more or less. Never looked at it on a map. That place deserves a good sit or two I'd say. Ain't gonna kill no hear there, but the deer and yotes might be interested.
Archery on Wilson Shoals opens at the end of September or 1st of Oct. I imagine the persimmons will be gone especially after all this wind.