Dog be gone!!!

Gumpbuck

I don't no anything about hunting coyotes. But we have too many of them and they are hanging around our camp at night. Other than a game call and hunting them, are there any other efficient, legal ways to control them?

As for calls, I've seen some positive reviews about FoxPro calls. I'd use a .223 to take them down.

Any tips would be much appreciated. we need to take out a couple dozen at least.

Wiz

Trapping will put far more away quicker than hunting. Also, snares are only lawful for Beaver and are not permitted on land. In any case, make sure you read the laws regarding trapping and predator hunting before getting too involved.

You would probably enjoy learning to trap them but the learning curve can be steep. You could also hire a professional trapper who could probably knock the population back a lot quicker depending on the amount of time you have and budget.

Gumpbuck

I'm in Decatur county.
I agree that hunting will not knock out a sizable number unless I do it every chance I get.
I like the professional trapper idea.
In any case, it will have to wait till deer season is over.

JohnK

They are a lot of fun to hunt....more so than deer but it's not a good way to get rid of them. Check out "MFK coyote videos" on utube and "Predatormaster" web site. The little hunting I get to do I carry a shotgun and leave the rifles at home. I usually can't see over 40 yards and they tend to hop around a lot.

chase870

Possum Sox
If you hunt them pay attention to the wind. Be quite avoid using a lite if you can. If he is going to come he will be hunting you from down wind of the call 95% of the time if he can. Just because you don't see him doesn't mean didn't come. Stay in the shadows when you set up. Good Luck

Yotedawg

If you have some fields I know a guy in Decatur county who may can help you. He uses thermal and hunts at night. He really puts the fur in the truck.