Broad heads

Kris87

I only shoot 125gr heads. My favorite fixed head is the Ramcat, followed by the Magnus Black Hornet.

In the mechanicals, I like the Rage Hypodermic.

rjcruiser

I like bipolars. Shot this guy at 46 yards. Pass thru with about 10" of arrow still in the deer when he crashed 25 yards after the shot. Slight quartering to me and shot was obviously about 6-8 inches left of ideal spot. They take a beating and can be bent back into shape if they get bent. Not the cheapest out there, but they work for me.

Attachments

• 20171118_001029-1008x756.jpg
    20171118_001029-1008x756.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 514
  • 20171119_221430.jpg
    20171119_221430.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 513

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I like the 125g ramcat and 125g QAD Exodus

Ramcat might not fit in your quiver quite right, depends on what you use.

fishhunt05

Thanks for the input. I’m just gong ahead and setting up my bow for next season. Thinking about the 125 hypodermic and bipolar right now. I’ve never had issues with rage.

Ihunt

Ramcat or Anarchy.

deast1988

Reports are Rage might be doing something with 125gr hypos. I read something on AT,

If ulmer edge comes back which I've read they might be. That is my favorite broadhead design of all time. 1.5in cut rear deploy single bevel. Me An a buddy had a streak of 8 deer that didn't go more then 30yds before they crashed. Wicked head for white tails,

My favorite fixed head Muzzy Trocar, they fly great An put a hurting on them aswell.

Qad exodus I like them they just seem like the ferrule is micro small I believe they are well made super sharp.

rjcruiser

Reports are Rage might be doing something with 125gr hypos. I read something on AT,

This may be true because I've seen them on super sale at places like Midway ($15 for a 3 pack). I actually picked up 2 packs to try.

Nothing wrong with the Bipolars. Just couldn't pass up a $5 broadhead that many swear by. My biggest concern...and I think the biggest complaint that I've seen...with Rage is that when they hit bone, they deflect.

Not sure how a Rage would have done with the buck I shot above. It could have done the exact same thing. Or, it may have glanced off the bone. Who knows...I think any broadhead will work well on good shots....it's those sub-optimal shots that you have to worry about.

So far, Bi-Polars have done well for me on those not-so-great shots and they fly true for me.

The Arrow Guru

I read threads all over the net about broad heads. I have an opinion that isn't always popular but I believe is the truth.

The broad head is the least important part of the entire system. Accuracy is definitely the most important thing. Being able to put the arrow in the exact right spot should be the #1 goal.

This is what I think should be the correct process 100% of the time.

1. Build an arrow that is made to penetrate. Heavy mass and have as much weight as you can get in the front of that arrow.

2. Make sure you are tuned and you are getting PERFECT arrow flight. Not good, not pretty good, PERFECT arrow flight.

There is a common thought that adding a lot of weight to an arrow will have a much greater affect on arrow drop than it will actually have. More mass retains more energy and at longer distances the heavier arrow will lose much less speed than a light one. Especially with an arrow with a high FOC %, like over 20%. You will also have a much higher mechanical advantage when it comes to penetration with a high mass weight, high FOC arrow.

So, i believe the philosophy you should use when building arrows is this: Shoot the heaviest arrow you can shoot and still have acceptable trajectory.

Many people use Kinetic Energy as a measuring stick on the potential for penetration. This has been pushed on the consumers much like arrow speed as very important. KE has nothing to do with the potential for penetration of an arrow. If you take your compound bow and have arrows built from light to heavy, say 350, 400, 450, 500 ect ect and shoot them througha chrono and do your KE calculation, you will find that all of those arrows will have within a few foot pounds of the same KE. Using this only would tell you that the 350 grain arrow has the same potential for penetration as the 700 grain arrow which according to Sir Isaac Newton just isn't the case.

So build a heavy arrow with a high % of weight in the front, tune it perfectly. Then, find a head that is structurally sound and is accurate. Then put all your energy into putting that arrow in the right spot. An animal who has both lungs collapsed can not live.

mass + high FOC x perfect arrow flight = lethal penetration.

How bout that for a long post, surry

Curvebow05

I read threads all over the net about broad heads. I have an opinion that isn't always popular but I believe is the truth.

The broad head is the least important part of the entire system. Accuracy is definitely the most important thing. Being able to put the arrow in the exact right spot should be the #1 goal.

This is what I think should be the correct process 100% of the time.

1. Build an arrow that is made to penetrate. Heavy mass and have as much weight as you can get in the front of that arrow.

2. Make sure you are tuned and you are getting PERFECT arrow flight. Not good, not pretty good, PERFECT arrow flight.

There is a common thought that adding a lot of weight to an arrow will have a much greater affect on arrow drop than it will actually have. More mass retains more energy and at longer distances the heavier arrow will lose much less speed than a light one. Especially with an arrow with a high FOC %, like over 20%. You will also have a much higher mechanical advantage when it comes to penetration with a high mass weight, high FOC arrow.

So, i believe the philosophy you should use when building arrows is this: Shoot the heaviest arrow you can shoot and still have acceptable trajectory.

Many people use Kinetic Energy as a measuring stick on the potential for penetration. This has been pushed on the consumers much like arrow speed as very important. KE has nothing to do with the potential for penetration of an arrow. If you take your compound bow and have arrows built from light to heavy, say 350, 400, 450, 500 ect ect and shoot them througha chrono and do your KE calculation, you will find that all of those arrows will have within a few foot pounds of the same KE. Using this only would tell you that the 350 grain arrow has the same potential for penetration as the 700 grain arrow which according to Sir Isaac Newton just isn't the case.

So build a heavy arrow with a high % of weight in the front, tune it perfectly. Then, find a head that is structurally sound and is accurate. Then put all your energy into putting that arrow in the right spot. An animal who has both lungs collapsed can not live.

mass + high FOC x perfect arrow flight = lethal penetration.

How bout that for a long post, surry

This guy gets it. Someone sounds like they have read some of Dr Ashby's work. It's sad when a 40# recurve at 160 fps out penetrates a 70# compound at 320 fps. Kinetic energy is a small part of momentum but is not how you should measure anything regarding arrow penetration. Use the formula to boost momentum and you will boost penetration.

I have shot and killed deer with kit about every broadhead out there and with that experience you will never see me pay $40/pack for marketing. Tune your bow, build a good arrow, and buy any head and you will kill deer.

I bought some rage extremes from Midway for $12.99 a pack. They killed deer this year just as dead as the cheap original muzzy 3 blade that took a deer this year. I picked up two packs of Mossy Oak Slick Tricks on sale for $7 at Walmart. I shot deer this year with the Cabelas Laser Strike ii and they worked fabulously on a good shot. They will all do the same thing which is kill a deer. The only ones I will not touch are like the Toxic which will clog up with hide and meat and kill your penetration.

The only thing that I change is the broadhead I use when hunting on the ground vs treestand hunting. Fixed blades only from the ground for me because I want the strength and durability to punch through on a quartering shot without breaking apart.

Long story short, pick a good quality broadhead that looks cool and has strong ferrule and razor sharp blades and go hunt. There are lots of good quality third party reviews on YouTube that cover a wide array of the newly released heads every year. Check them out and pick one or two or ten and enjoy.

fishhunt05

I agree that’s why I’m looking at different broadheads . My arrow after I put a 100 grain head will be over 500 grains.

matt79brown

Kilt my 1st deer with a Wasp 3 blade 125gr on a Easton autumn orange xx75 31'' arrow 24 years ago after chunkin' it from a Jennings bow. If you know what any of this is then you've probably got grey in your whisker biskit. Since then I've shot 'em
with everything. Fixed, mechanical, 3 blade, 2 blade,1 blade you name it. I'm not a guru but any of 'em in the lungs will work. If I get where I can shoot 'em in the ear every time I'll just use my field points. Until then I probably favor a Muzzy 125.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
a little off topic but they had a bunch of different 100gr broadheads on sale at the Covington Walmarks. 3pk of Ramcat 100's for $21, for example.

Ihunt

I agree that’s why I’m looking at different broadheads . My arrow after I put a 100 grain head will be over 500 grains.

You’re someone who can IMO use any broadhead. If I was shooting a 500 grain arrow and any bow over 60lbs I would probably be shooting the biggest mechanical I could find.

Most people having penetration issues with mechanicals have arrows that are too light. Arrow weight trumps everything in regards to penetration and you have plenty.