; Septic Tank Pumped - Page 2 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > On Topic -- Questions and Answers

Old 02-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Guess whos septic tank is acting up... I think i have a clog, no flooded drain field but hoping it only needs a tweak. Calling the guys in the morning. I see $$$$ leaving my pocket soon.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:33 PM

You in the Country ?
Rent a Trash pump and 100 ft' of hose. Good Strawberry patch next year....
Old 02-14-2018, 08:33 PM

I've read that drain field preventive maintenance is more important than septic tank maintenance. Aerobic bacteria that live in the drain field has to be maintained. They make porosity restorers, activator treatments, and maintainers just for the drain field. I'm not sure how you get them in your drain field unless you install a clean-out.
Maybe you put them in your house drain and they migrate all the way to the drain field.

I also read that grease can make its way into the drain field.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
Guess whos septic tank is acting up... I think i have a clog, no flooded drain field but hoping it only needs a tweak. Calling the guys in the morning. I see $$$$ leaving my pocket soon.
Oh no, that's weird. Hopefully just $$.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:51 AM

I am a Septic installer, i despise pumpers. Most seem to be after a quick $ and will sell you a doom and gloom story right off the bat. Then the homeowner will be concerned and might may more than they need.

I honestly don't suggest pumping frequently, there is a filter on the outlet side of the tank, women and children can and do send items down the pipe that can clog it , but that filter is also protected by a "T"

The drain field is the biggest factor, alot depends on the perc rate of the soil and the linear footage of the system

Traditional septic systems what people know as gravel and pipe were installed with a minset of 100lf per bedroom!

In the early 2000's infiltrator became easy amd popular its "High capacity" abilities allowed us to do a 50% reduction on that 100lf... Well they were wrong. So alot of those systems can and do give problems. So now we get a 35% reduction and some cases no reduction depending on soils and perc rates.

Dont ever do a repair without a permit. The county has all the info on your plot. That work has already been completed and paid for. Use it
Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 AM

My current situation is not helped by 3 girls in the house that use a whole roll of toilet paper when the use the bathroom.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
My current situation is not helped by 3 girls in the house that use a whole roll of toilet paper when the use the bathroom.
Have you showed them the trick with using only one sheet of toilet paper?
Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
Have you showed them the trick with using only one sheet of toilet paper?
You obviously don't have experience with 3 women and 1 male in the house. Or you do and they actually listen to you
Old 02-15-2018, 01:03 PM

Had a plumber tell me throw fresh read meat it the tank to start thr process and follow up with yeast.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I got ya beat, had 4 girl chillen, monster-in-law AND wife for years without issues. After they moved out or moved on, the trouble started.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:41 PM

Just me and the Bride..Never pumped anything , 28 years now.
Mound system with a Trash pump pushing it.
Pulled the lid on the 900 gal. tank about 10 years ago and scooped out the floating hard stuff..We're good.
Bet just us 2 only use 1 /5 of the drain field cause I dug it up and we don't make a dent in the drain field.
Lot's of dry grass and one green spot bought as big as a truck..pipes are fine, guess 2 people don't use much.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:18 PM

i would leave it alone
Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp hunter View Post
Just me and the Bride..Never pumped anything , 28 years now.
Mound system with a Trash pump pushing it.
Pulled the lid on the 900 gal. tank about 10 years ago and scooped out the floating hard stuff..We're good.
Bet just us 2 only use 1 /5 of the drain field cause I dug it up and we don't make a dent in the drain field.
Lot's of dry grass and one green spot bought as big as a truck..pipes are fine, guess 2 people don't use much.
I've seen those mound drain fields on the gulf coast. I've never seen them in Georgia. They have them in some northern and western states where the ground is too rocky or the waste water doesn't permeated the ground that well.
Sometimes they freeze. Sometimes their septic tanks freeze or or their pumps freeze. At least you don't have those problems.
What about the pump. I'm familiar with lift stations and chopper pumps. They seem to require a bit of maintenance. I guess one for a house isn't too bad. Does it have an alarm to let you know if it isn't working?
Old 02-16-2018, 08:38 AM

$325, problem solved. Had a talk with a 46, 8, 6 year old to stop putting wet wipes in the toilet.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 AM

My input- Me and 3 females in the household.
You guessed it , female products. Plus when the oldest one came for the weekend and used baby wipes. Backed up for sho.
Mr Rooter pulled the cover , removed debris, cleaned it out with pressure washer, included drain lines. Like new.
He said if the girls hadn't flushed em down, probably would have never had a problem. They work better when full of liquid- not plastic. Long talk , never again!!
Old 02-17-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
I've seen those mound drain fields on the gulf coast. I've never seen them in Georgia. They have them in some northern and western states where the ground is too rocky or the waste water doesn't permeated the ground that well.
Sometimes they freeze. Sometimes their septic tanks freeze or or their pumps freeze. At least you don't have those problems.
What about the pump. I'm familiar with lift stations and chopper pumps. They seem to require a bit of maintenance. I guess one for a house isn't too bad. Does it have an alarm to let you know if it isn't working?
I have a 30 gal plastic drum with the pump inside , came as a Kit. No alarm but it,s outside and I'd know if it quit working real quick. Even if it doe's I just hook up 100 ft' of pipe and let it run off into the Palmettos for a day till I get a new pump. Been going on 15 years now and not a bit of a problem.