Hiking gun recommendations?

Buckseye

I travel a lot with work and am looking to start camping and hiking more. I've done some weekend trips but I want to do some longer treks and thought it might be a good idea to bring a firearm as a just in case scenerio for all around protection. And Yes, Bear Mace is my first option and goes with me everywhere.

Anyone have thoughts on are .45 vs .357 for larger animals?

I've kind of looked at Ruger GP100, Taurus Judge, S&W Model 66, and a Glock 32 but wanted some opinions before making the purchase.

Other recommendations are welcome as well! But I'm hoping for the gun to be less than 30 ounces empty just to save me some weight.

T-N-T

I have a Springfield Armory XDs in 45.
Single stack and holds 5+1 with the short magazine.

You don't need a ton of bullets just one or two in almost any scenario.

It's probably the skinniest 45 you will be able find. (1 inch wide).

Very accurate. Very.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-s-3-3-45-acp/

BriarPatch99

I see you mention the Glock 32 .... I own and shoot a Model 31 (357SIG) ...

I know it is not a .44 mag ... but with the right bullets it could provide a lot of fire power in a fairly compact area ... 16(15 in mag, 1 in chamber) ...

With a good built bullet ... like a 147 grain Hornady XTP @ 1300 fps ... X 16 rounds ... Or even a well built 124/125 grain @1450+ fps ... it is a lot of fire power ....

I'd rather have a 375 H&H or 12 ga slug ... But which are you more likely to be carrying while on the trail....

Artfuldodger

If I was to carry a pistol, I wouldn't be able to carry my gurkha. Seriously though I would look for something light such as a S&W Airweight .38 J frame. The Glock mentioned would be a good choice. Lot's of rounds directly at a brown bear would probably scare it away. You are going to be pretty close to your target anyway.

Last edited:

T-N-T

I also have a kelTec 9mm

Single stack. 5 or 6 plus one. SUPER lightweight and thin.

LTZ25

My new carry is a Kimber K6s , 357mag and 6 shot small revolver , good belt holster and forget I'm carrying .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I usually carry a Glock 23 in .40 everywhere I go. Not my first choice for bear, but much better than a big gun I'm not carrying, and I'm not worried about bears anyway. Featherless two-legged varmints are the only thing in the woods that I really worry about.

obadiah

I like the Ruger LCR in .357. Very light and compact yet easier on the hands and wallet than the S&W .357. I’ve had mine for several years and it hasn’t disappointed me yet.

TomC

As mentioned above, it's probably NOT the 4 legged critters you need to be concerned about........BUT if it makes you feel better the bear spray will serve you MUCH BETTER than a 9mm or 45ACP. If it's coming at you quick and its got more than two legs a 9mm or 45ACP is probably just going to make it madder :):(

Better off with a Glock 29 for its nice carry size, Glock 20SF or a wheel gun in 357 or larger.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I am partial to revolvers. They just don't stovepipe and jam up like autos, even when they are nasty dirty.

GP100 .357 or Ruger Security Six .357... some days when I feel like Dirty Harry I will carry my Redhawk in .44 or on special days, my Redhawk in .41 mag. But after a few hours those Redhawks are pretty heavy

normaldave

GON Weatherman
...but much better than a big gun I'm not carrying, and I'm not worried about bears anyway. Featherless two-legged varmints are the only thing in the woods that I really worry about.

I've pretty well followed this line of thought too. If I'm hiking, I'm making enough noise that most of the animals and I have parted ways long before the encounter.

Having always been a wheel gun fan, I recently caved and added a Ruger LCP ("gen 2", not LCP II) .380 Cerakote slide. Packs light, most anywhere, 6+1 shots, no rust from sweat, perfect for shorts in warm weather. Embarrassed to say, I can close range target shoot it better/faster than my revolvers.

Local gun shop has the "gen 2" cerakote for $199.00 out the door, and it has the lifetime free replacement Davidson's Gallery of Guns warranty on top of Ruger's most excellent customer service and warranty. (The "gen 2" LCP has none of the issues the original LCP had btw, and priced lower than the new LCP II). Slide does not lock open after last round however, new LCP II it does.

Don't be "triggered" by this image from the Ruger site: LCP 3747 (several other options)
3747.jpg

So yes, whatever gun you will never hesitate to carry anytime is the one you should choose.

Buckseye

Thanks for the replies guys. And I'm looking for both protection from both 2 legged and 4 legged animals, but I figure I can carry one gun taht can make me feel better about both. I appreciate the info, Time to head to the shop and see how some feel in my hand.

Think I narrowed it down to Kimber Ks, Ruger SP101, and SW Model 60.

All of them are around 23 ounces, 357, stainless, and around 2" barrel length. And Ruger and SW are the same price with Kimber being just a bit more pricey.

Leaning toward SW just because I like the finger grips and the ability to lock the trigger when not in use.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am partial to revolvers. They just don't stovepipe and jam up like autos, even when they are nasty dirty.

GP100 .357 or Ruger Security Six .357... some days when I feel like Dirty Harry I will carry my Redhawk in .44 or on special days, my Redhawk in .41 mag. But after a few hours those Redhawks are pretty heavy

I have probably put over a thousand rounds through my Glock, and I have never had it jam up or stovepipe, not once, clean or nasty-dirty as all get-out. And it holds 14 rounds of .40-nearly three cylinders full on a revolver. It also takes about two seconds to put that many more rounds back in it.

I love me a Ruger .44 mag hogleg, but I ain't gonna tote one around all the time.

T-N-T

I have probably put over a thousand rounds through my Glock, and I have never had it jam up or stovepipe, not once, clean or nasty-dirty as all get-out. And it holds 14 rounds of .40-nearly three cylinders full on a revolver. It also takes about two seconds to put that many more rounds back in it.

I love me a Ruger .44 mag hogleg, but I ain't gonna tote one around all the time.

Good quality auto loaders don't hardly ever jam.

Artfuldodger

I like the Ruger LCR in .357. Very light and compact yet easier on the hands and wallet than the S&W .357. I’ve had mine for several years and it hasn’t disappointed me yet.

That's a neat looking pistol. Only 17 oz. I wonder how it compares to the Sp101? Maybe more expensive but lighter? The LCR has nice looking fat grips.

Dub

Tote the same gun.....just change up the ammo for your environ......1911 with some hot hollow points for urban toting......and some ball ammo for woods use.