most cost effective tree stand solution for new lease...

jfarrell30339

so I'm trying to plan out how to place and hang stands at our new lease. I've been looking at double ladder stands, hang on stands etc...

I have a climber I've been using but now that my boys want to come with me more often I'm leaning towards double ladder stands. With approx. 250 acres I'm wondering how many setups I should have. I'm thinking of starting with five. My thought is to buy 2-3 double ladder stands and 2-3 hang on stands and have safety lines installed on each tree. Then I can either have one set of climbing sticks or I can install sticks at each hang on stand.

What's worked best for you guys...

The mtn man

The Wal-Mart ladder stands for rifle hunting are the most economical, we've tried everything, from building ladder stands to box blinds, box blinds are nice on rainy days, but so are the tree umbrellas. Having a climber on hand is a must though. I personally like the ground better if I can see. Ground hunting is cheap.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
so I'm trying to plan out how to place and hang stands at our new lease. I've been looking at double ladder stands, hang on stands etc...

I have a climber I've been using but now that my boys want to come with me more often I'm leaning towards double ladder stands. With approx. 250 acres I'm wondering how many setups I should have. I'm thinking of starting with five. My thought is to buy 2-3 double ladder stands and 2-3 hang on stands and have safety lines installed on each tree. Then I can either have one set of climbing sticks or I can install sticks at each hang on stand.

What's worked best for you guys...

It's all about your preference and how much money you are willing to spend. I have portables, ladder stands and box blinds on my place.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d say nice double ladder stands , with a blind around them so kids don’t have to be so still , they are pretty easy to move around also and u can put a top on them fairly easy and cheap !

shdw633

Don't be afraid to build some natural blinds with downed logs and limbs. These are easy to build, provide cover that deer don't mind having near them and best of all they are free. I also concur with having a good ground blind that can just be taken out anywhere and set up. If you go with ladder stands be sure to spend a little more for the ones with individual nylon stands, you will get way more comfort from them then the back breaking bench seats many offer.

Jim Boyd

Comfort and room are king, imho.

12 hours (or even 4-5 hours) is a long time.

nmurph

I hunt about the same amount of land. The number of stands is going to depend on terrain and deer movement. I currently have 5 stands that I hunt regularly. I also have about a dozen sets that I have used in previous years and use them as deer movement changes and dictates.

I suggest ladder stands. The taller, the better in my book. Double stands are great for solo sits.