Straight razor shave

buckrub

I can promise you I'm no hipster but I do own a straight razor. I have a beard but use the straight razor to shape cheek and neck lines. I also have a safety razor and have tried many disposables and the straight razor is definitely the better shave. If you like to sleep late and are in a rush, this is not the toy for you. If you have shaky hands, probably not a good idea either. There are tons of YouTube videos on the matter and if you purchase a quality razor, quality strop, and take care of it, you likely will never need to have it sharpened.

SkintRider

My Dad was a barber starting about 1945 til about 1978. He used a straight razor til about 76 and his eyes started to go south. He really did not like shaving faces at all but would if asked. Hot towel and all. I started shaving about 6yrs old in 54. Don't remember making a mistake on my face but Daddy didn't want me playing around either. Daddy had a shop at home all of my life and worked uptown six days and seven at home, nights and weekends. Sunday was 5:00 am till 7 or 8 at night.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I can promise you I'm no hipster but I do own a straight razor. I have a beard but use the straight razor to shape cheek and neck lines. I also have a safety razor and have tried many disposables and the straight razor is definitely the better shave. If you like to sleep late and are in a rush, this is not the toy for you. If you have shaky hands, probably not a good idea either. There are tons of YouTube videos on the matter and if you purchase a quality razor, quality strop, and take care of it, you likely will never need to have it sharpened.

Same here. I started using a straight razor about a year ago. Huge difference in quality of shave. I've always had a bad problem with my neck being irritated with other razors. Straight razor cured that immediately. Once you get the hang of it, a straight razor is very easy to use.

BeerThirty

I've never done it. Currently use razors from Dollar Shave Club with plain old water. Have never used shaving cream.

Dr. Strangelove

"Barbers and the Salon" here in Athens offers a straight-razor shave at both locations. My brother had one and said it was an enjoyable experience. Cost is $20 - $25.

I've used a straight razor to shave, once you get past the "the thing is going to cut my face off" aspect of it, it's kind of fun. I got into the shaving craze for a while and used double edge safety razors and all that. Now that I keep a beard, I just buy the 99¢ pack of twelve disposables at the dollar store.

T-N-T

I have only shaved my face twice in 11 years
Once for my wedding and once for my step daughters graduation.

I hope I never have go through experience again....

The shaving.
Well, and the getting married come to thinking it

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I usually have a beard half the year and clean shaven the other half...A few years ago they opened a shaving gallery close to my work. One of the gals working there came by and gave a few of us a card to come get a free shave so I said what the heck.
They put a really hot towel of your face before they lather you up. After they shave you they will put a really cold towel on your face to close the pores. Afterwards they put the aftershave lotion on you after the pores close. I have to admit that I really enjoyed it, similar to getting a massage . The whole goal was to get you to buy their product which was over priced.
It may sound weird but when I dont have a beard, I really enjoy shaving and have been buying from Dollar Shave Club for several years now.

abrannon

I have had a straight razor shave many times. Both with the traditional Straight Razor and with the newer models that use replaceable "Sterile" blades.

In my opinion none of them beat a Mach 3 razor. Those 3 flexible blades give a very close shave.

The only thing a straight razor did better was if I had a few days growth. That single blade could be wiped off quickly.