; Ban Bait Plots - Page 2 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 AM

The problem I know of is with feeding corn that has not been tested for alfatoxin. Turkeys can die from alfatoxin in corn. Alfatoxin will kill a turkey very quickly.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod71 View Post
The problem I know of is with feeding corn that has not been tested for alfatoxin. Turkeys can die from alfatoxin in corn. Alfatoxin will kill a turkey very quickly.
It also occurs in many types other feed/food.......wheat is one as well.

But there is hope.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...isonous-mould/
Old 02-16-2018, 10:59 AM

I can assure you it probably doesn't have to be tested when it's laying all over the ground, wet, with mold, fungi, and deer waste. By then it looks more like Afrotoxins. Shoving starches down a deer's gut creates all kinds of issues.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIronheadX View Post
I can assure you it probably doesn't have to be tested when it's laying all over the ground, wet, with mold, fungi, and deer waste. By then it looks more like Afrotoxins. Shoving starches down a deer's gut creates all kinds of issues.
Thanks for the assurance.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdandy View Post
Thanks for the assurance.
No problem.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Shoving starches down a deer's gut creates all kinds of issues.
No doubt!! All those deer in the midwest that are surrounded by miles and miles, acres upon acres of corn fields have all kinds of issues.....like over sized bodies and antlers that are growing way bigger than what we see down here.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod71 View Post
Attached is recent info on Aflatoxin from OK, because OK did the most recent research investigating Aflatoxins.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf NREM-9021.pdf (67.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
We really need that whiners forum I have been asking for for years
Truer words have never been spoken
Old 02-16-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdw633 View Post
No doubt!! All those deer in the midwest that are surrounded by miles and miles, acres upon acres of corn fields have all kinds of issues.....like over sized bodies and antlers that are growing way bigger than what we see down here.
Not from corn.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Not from corn.
You trying to tell me that corn is not a large part of a deers diet in states like Illinois? and that they are not getting those huge bodies from eating that corn?? Where do you think they are getting there size from because even if you look at Bergmann's Rule you still have to have a considerable about of carbohydrates to fuel that size. If not that, then what are they eating that is fueling those massive bodies?
Old 02-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
You trying to tell me that corn is not a large part of a deers diet in states like Illinois? and that they are not getting those huge bodies from eating that corn?? Where do you think they are getting there size from because even if you look at Bergmann's Rule you still have to have a considerable about of carbohydrates to fuel that size. If not that, then what are they eating that is fueling those massive bodies?
It's called SOIL. The corn adds a little fat reserve for winter survival. Carbs are energy. Like staying warm. The soil is so good out there that briars add high protein. The amount of protein from corn barely supports daily deer activity. Dig up that red clay and trade it for some of that corn belt soil.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
It's called SOIL. The corn adds a little fat reserve for winter survival. Carbs are energy. Like staying warm. The soil is so good out there that briars add high protein. The amount of protein from corn barely supports daily deer activity. Dig up that red clay and trade it for some of that corn belt soil.
Last time I was up there the deer weren't eating soil when they were in those corn fields.

They need both, without those carbohydrates they would be skinny as a rail, they would basically be on the Atkins diet. Carbohydrates and Proteins are like two birds in a nest, if you only feed one the other one dies and the nest doesn't need to be as big. Same with deer, you don't give them an ample amount of both their bodies would not get that big. You need energy....and lots of it...to grow and sustain muscle mass.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Last time I was up there the deer weren't eating soil when they were in those corn fields.

They need both, without those carbohydrates they would be skinny as a rail, they would basically be on the Atkins diet. Carbohydrates and Proteins are like two birds in a nest, if you only feed one the other one dies and the nest doesn't need to be as big. Same with deer, you don't give them an ample amount of both their bodies would not get that big. You need energy....and lots of it...to grow and sustain muscle mass.
Lol. No they weren't but those nutrients make their way into those plants they do eat. But, we are talking ruminants, not humans. High protein gets them big. Fat reserve adds to it. Corn is useless for antlers. You don't need energy to grow lol. You just need a recliner and some Butterfingers. They can get carbs from acorns and grains. That soil is the magic. You can eat all the 5 or 6% protein you want, but you are going to be filled with 6%. Eating 6 kernels won't make it 36%.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:46 AM

When was CWD reported in GA? Did I miss the memo?Are we banning food plots, farming of food and animals? Where do cows eat ? What do cows eat? Have ever seen a cow eat with another cow in the same area? Are we banning driving cars? Are we going to make deer season 1 week and make it archery only? In order for a disease to spread there has to be a disease.