Tree grafting time?

Possum

Banned
I collected female American persimmon scions earlier this month. I’ve read where you want to wait until late March to graft onto the growing persimmon trees.
With all this warm recent weather and rains, would I be ok to graft now?
I’m going down to hunting land tomorrow and wasn’t sure if it would be ok to go ahead and do it or if I should wait a few more weeks.

Forest Grump

It’s best to wait until the recipient trees are leafing out to ensure a strong flow of sap to seal & feed the grafted stock.

In my area, persimmons haven’t broken dormancy like the fruit & flowering trees have, but if yours are popping buds the graft would probably take. Just seal & coat it well so it doesn’t dry out.

When they started this “climate change” rant, nobody mentioned we’d be going to just 2 seasons from now on...
Makes it hard to get my spring chores done when “Spring” is a week in Feb:bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I graft persimmons in late April, after they start sprouting leaves. I get nearly 100% takes by bark grafting then. This time of year, you'll get a whole lot lower percentages. It's just now time to cut persimmon scion wood, IMO. Even on my place halfway down the SC/GA border, I've never seen persimmons break buds until April.

Triple C

Patience Possum. Did my 1st grafting last year and had the help of a friend that's grafted a lot. We grafted apple scion on to B118 root stock the middle of March last year. 10 grafts and 9 survived. Didn't even use wax. Just red electric tape around the grafts. Put 5 ft tubes around them and they grew out of the tubes by summers end. Wait the the sap is rising in your host tree or rootstock before grafting.

mlandrum

Mine has already took? I'm making a hard pear into a SOFT pear:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 146

SCDAWG

Any tips for finding good scion wood? I have looked at several trees that produce good fruit and the new growth is very short and thin.