Question for Lab breeder

CAnderson

I have a 6mth old Lab pup and am working on the AKC registration paperwork and am wanting to set him up as a sire.

Is there a certain way I should, or shouldn't, register him? Things I need to get together?

His parents are registered and have hunting backgrounds. His dad even has DNA paperwork of some kind.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

This is him in Aug at 4mths. He has a pink/biege nose, and hazel eyes, which I was told was a big plus.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 348

CAnderson

A guy in Carrolton that advertised in the classifieds.

CAnderson

Hopefully Joe or another Lab breeder has PM'd you. Your breeder should be the resource to guide you through the registration process , however AKC is pretty easy to help you through the process. I would read the AKC breed standard as to what is proper , especially when considering producing puppies. I would also reach out to Labrador Club of America or another reputable breeder as to what genetic concerns there are with Labs. There is an immense cost that quality breeders spend to help reduce the risk of producing a puppy with genetic health problems. Just do you homework , the worst thing that can happen is having to destroy and animal due to breeder neglect. I would also ask another Lab breeder how do they pick the Dam of the litter they are breeding. You should have a plan due to the responsibility you will have with bringing new life into the world.

Water Swat

CAnderson

I would also ask another Lab breeder how do they pick the Dam of the litter they are breeding. You should have a plan due to the responsibility you will have with bringing new life into the world.

All your other advice is good and spot on. But the males dont pick the dams for the most part. The dam owners pick their stud. So he needs to ask the question, why would someone want to breed thier dog to mine?? Whats he have to offer?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would have someone who is a breed expert to examine the pup to see if he meets the standards for the breed. Just from what I see in the picture, I don't believe they will recommend that you use this pup for breeding purposes, but I haven't seen him in person. I don't think I would go thru all the process to have him registered if I wasn't going to use him for breeding. I would have him fixed, and be grateful for a faithful friend

Water Swat

You are correct. I should have been clearer. My reference to "how the Dam is picked" was directed to the breeders that have multiple Sires and Dams and stay within their kennel or program. Yes when breeders go outside of their kennel the owner of the Dam picks the Stud. Hopefully the owner of the Dam is choosing a Stud that is strong in areas where the Dam is weak.

Joe Overby

Not to sound arrogant, but why should your dog be bred? What qualities does he possess that he could pass on to future generations? Does your dog have all the pertinent health certifications to include but not limited to, OFA hips and elbows, current yearly eye cerf from a licensed acvo, eic and cnm status, and d locus to make sure he doesn't carry the dilute gene.

As far as the AKC goes, there's nothing you do to "set him up as a sire" until he becomes a "frequently used sire". Then the AKC requires a DNA panel in the case of parental discrepancy.

Like has been said already though, the girls pick the boys...not the other way around...you do better your chances though if you give the girls a reason to come calling...ie titles, wins, etc...

Lastly, whoever told you hazel eyes was a big plus has NO idea what they're talking about. The pink nose alone is a disqualifying fault, and hazel eyes is indicative of the dilute gene...2 big no no's....

HuntDawg

Not to sound arrogant, but why should your dog be bred? What qualities does he possess that he could pass on to future generations? Does your dog have all the pertinent health certifications to include but not limited to, OFA hips and elbows, current yearly eye cerf from a licensed acvo, eic and cnm status, and d locus to make sure he doesn't carry the dilute gene.

As far as the AKC goes, there's nothing you do to "set him up as a sire" until he becomes a "frequently used sire". Then the AKC requires a DNA panel in the case of parental discrepancy.

Like has been said already though, the girls pick the boys...not the other way around...you do better your chances though if you give the girls a reason to come calling...ie titles, wins, etc...

Lastly, whoever told you hazel eyes was a big plus has NO idea what they're talking about. The pink nose alone is a disqualifying fault, and hazel eyes is indicative of the dilute gene...2 big no no's....

I am no expert by any means. With that said, I have a hard time understanding how people can post stuff on the internet that they heard through the grapevine.

Mine is a great dog, but even I know she is not breeding stock. She was fixed in order to prevent any future issues.

Latest posts