Doubled up on Chattahoochee

jbogg

F17BEE99-04C6-45AC-B51F-FD6F385B929C.jpgF02D3DF1-F6A7-4F0C-A136-70F2C76B2D08.jpeg3E9C6224-122D-4B9F-94E7-B87D812E3485.jpegI went up to Chattahoochee yesterday hoping to catch some hogs moving when it warmed up in the afternoon. I walked 8 - 9 miles total, and feeling every one of them this morning. On my way out I found fresh hog tracks on top of the boot tracks I had made just thirty minutes earlier. I followed the tracks for a couple hundred yards until they left the road and turned down a drain. I had an idea of where they were headed, and sure enough they were in a foodplot I had checked on hour earlier. There were 3 sows and 7 - 8 shoats.

I got a good shot at one of the dark sows and found her just a short way in the woods. I snapped a few pics, and as I was quartering her up I looked up to see another different group of pigs heading right to me from another direction. There were four sows in the 175 - 200lb range and one boar about the same size. I took aim at the lead blond sow, and she dropped where she stood. I packed all the meat I could carry on my ALPS Freighter frame meat pack and made the long hike out.

For any of you guys that did not get your fill during deer season now is a great time to get on some hogs. The colder it gets the more active they become. Unlike bears, hogs have to feed a lot during cold weather to take in calories to generate body heat. So, no need to be in that late season depression with deer and football seasons winding down. Get out there and save a turkey nest and bring home some pork shoulders for the smoker.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Cool..

Never got into the "stalking" thing. (never really had a chance)
Shot a bunch from stands and blinds tho.

I would like to try it!

Buckman18

Awesome!!! Congrats, John!

jbogg

Thanks guys. Did not have any luck finding a buck this year in the mountains, but at least there are plenty of hogs. As many as there are you would think it would be easy to find them. Many of the food plots are in poor shape after all the snow last month, but there is a lot of hog sign in the Red Oaks. Still plenty of acorns on the ground.

Killer Kyle

I am proud of you John! You got it done in the finest way. I was out today on some public land. Did about ten miles today, about 6 yesterday, and about 5 the day before. I am completely smoked. I sure wish my hikes out included some pork like yours! Glad to see somebody getting it done!
I was out checking food plots today, and am still finding the same. The snow laid on the food plot too long, and burnt up the clover and chicory. Most of it looks dead as a door nail, or near it. Sure hate to see the clover plots brown so early in the winter.
For anybody lamenting the ending of deer season, the UGA loss, or the end of football season, get off the couch and quit crying. There is still lots, and LOTS of hunting to do. John just showed us all how. And for the record, I like wild pig far more than I like deer meat. I'd rather eat Carnitas Al Pastor any day before deer spaghetti.
Don't let that boogle eyed blonde hog haunt your dreams. She reminds me of that lady on TV that used to pop her eyes out to freak people out. You remember that?
Good job man,and way to get 'er done!!

jbogg

I am proud of you John! You got it done in the finest way. I was out today on some public land. Did about ten miles today, about 6 yesterday, and about 5 the day before. I am completely smoked. I sure wish my hikes out included some pork like yours! Glad to see somebody getting it done!
I was out checking food plots today, and am still finding the same. The snow laid on the food plot too long, and burnt up the clover and chicory. Most of it looks dead as a door nail, or near it. Sure hate to see the clover plots brown so early in the winter.
For anybody lamenting the ending of deer season, the UGA loss, or the end of football season, get off the couch and quit crying. There is still lots, and LOTS of hunting to do. John just showed us all how. And for the record, I like wild pig far more than I like deer meat. I'd rather eat Carnitas Al Pastor any day before deer spaghetti.
Don't let that boogle eyed blonde hog haunt your dreams. She reminds me of that lady on TV that used to pop her eyes out to freak people out. You remember that?
Good job man,and way to get 'er done!!

Thanks Kyle. I will be putting a pork shoulder and the ribs on the smoker this weekend. My legs and back are still complaining from yesterday. Motrin helps, but no way I could do back to back days like you. As you said, most of the food plots are in rough shape with little to no fresh sign for in them. The pigs I saw were just passing through instead of stopping to feed.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Great job JBogg! I take it the second sow got a head shot?

jbogg

Great job JBogg! I take it the second sow got a head shot?

I broke one of my self imposed rules regarding head shots. She was making a bee line straight to me like I owed her money. When she was inside 25 yds and coming fast I already had the cross hairs centered between her eyes so when she finally spotted me and froze, I took the shot. She had a big ole noggin on her so her head practically filled the scope. I was shooting my Model 70 300 Win Mag so she didn't put up much of an argument.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Ha! Probably a good thing you dropped her in her tracks. The bulging eyeballs gave it away.