Can a 410 kill a turkey

Dupree

rio makes a 3" #6 that has 1 1/16oz of shot.

Brad

Could anyone tell me where I can get a copy of Kenney Morgans book? sorry about being off topic.

Theduckhunter13

I just want to kill one with it cuz my Grandpa gave it to me. Not really ever been on my to do list until now but im patterning it tomorrow so ill let yall know!

Kwaksmoka

Shot mine today, my Winchester #6's shot better than the Remington #7.5's today, they held a much tighter pattern, even up to 35 yds they were holding together good enough!

Blackkutter

.410 is a negative

I like the thought of what you are trying to accomplish however, I would say absolutley not. First of all, you have to get the bird within at least 20 yards. The pattern on most .410's suck even at 20. Then you have to make a good shot with half to 1/3 less pellets of a normal 12 gauge round. What happens if you cripple the bird? Do you really thing that you can make a legitimate 30 or 40 yard clean up shot? If you like to puposely lower you already slim odds by using a .410 and if you don't mind watching a big gobbler run off crippled or even unharmed :rofl:, Hit the woods with a pea shooter, otherwise I would leave the .410 in the closet and let your kids use it for wingshooting and squrrel hunting.

BK

dtala

I agree on leaving the .410 at home if one dosent have a decent shooting gun, or have the skill to get a bird within 20-25 yards, or the patience to let him get that close, or if ya can't shoot worth squat.:huh:

troy:fine:

Kwaksmoka

I like the thought of what you are trying to accomplish however, I would say absolutley not. First of all, you have to get the bird within at least 20 yards. The pattern on most .410's suck even at 20. Then you have to make a good shot with half to 1/3 less pellets of a normal 12 gauge round. What happens if you cripple the bird? Do you really thing that you can make a legitimate 30 or 40 yard clean up shot? If you like to puposely lower you already slim odds by using a .410 and if you don't mind watching a big gobbler run off crippled or even unharmed :rofl:, Hit the woods with a pea shooter, otherwise I would leave the .410 in the closet and let your kids use it for wingshooting and squrrel hunting.

BK

That's one way to look at it :crazy:, however I look at it like they've killed turkey's for hundreds of years using way less inferior weapons/methods. If im disciplined enough and do my part it should not be a problem! Heck guns for that matter have changed so much, not too long ago people weren't using chokes, special "turkey" shells, etc etc! I'll take my chances! :cheers:

Birds I hunt dont come easy... So Im not going to under gun my self with a .410...

You guys that got em waven white flags knock your selves out;)

FLGobstopper

410-1-1.jpg

I got the gun from my dad when I was nine, I'm 59 now. Savage O/U .22lr/.410

troy

I have the same gun my dad gave me when I was 10 or 11. He got it from my grandfather when he was a kid. I love that gun it's a squirrel killing machine, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it for turkeys though. I might have to check it out and see what kind of pattern I can get. It does have a full choke and I think 75% of the birds I've taken have been 20 yds or under anyway so it would be kinda cool to take one with it.

I really wanna take one with my grandad's old model 12 heavy duck gun. He killed everything with that gun from ducks and geese to deer and hogs. I don't think he ever shot a turkey though. Might have to change that soon!

goob

20 yards with 3" #6s...
410-1.jpg

25 yards, dropped and flopped a little. Opening day bird four years ago. 12 inch beard....wing is still vibrating:D
410-1-1.jpg

I got the gun from my dad when I was nine, I'm 59 now. Savage O/U .22lr/.410

troy

Ive also got one of those, got it from my grandpa when I was 7 or 8 years old. He got it when he was 11 years old. Fine shootin' squirrel slammer for sure!

TenPtr

I am in pursuit of taking a bird with my Fox side by side .410
My grandfather gave this gun to my dad when he turned 11....my dad is now 63. This gun was handed down to me when I turned 11. This gun has killed a whole lot of dove and wild quail over the years but never a turkey.

I want to kill a bird with it for sentimental reasons as well as the challenge it offers. Both barrels are full and it shoots a kill pattern up to 20 yards. I would not shoot a bird unless it was within 15 yards.

I will be taking it only when the situation is right.

I believe that there is nothing unethical about using a .410
If a hunter knows the effect range of his weapon it should not matter what he uses as long as he practices proper discipline.