Optic or rifle issue?

bullgator

I have a Ruger takedown 10/22 that I put a Vortex Venom 3moa sight on. After sighting in at 50 yds. I shot a 5 shot group of under a half inch. I was impressed with both the rifle and optic considering there was no magnification. Anyway, I took the rifle apart and put it back in its case. The next day I take it out and it shoot 12" low 5 o'clock. Re sight it and two days later it's 8" 11 o'clock. Two days later 4" left @9. So, is it the rifle or the optic?

aabradley82

I’d go with the rifle first since it’s moving when you take it apart. Isn’t there a way to tighten up the takedown apparatus?

wareagle700

I'd put my money on the optic or mounts.

bullgator

I certainly hope it's not the rifle. If Ruger put out a takedown rifle with that much slop.....well, I'd be surprised and disappointed. Your looking at about 18" of movement from one session to the next.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the short answer is Yes.

it is the rifle or the optic. The first thing should be the easiest. So go check all the torque on the scope mounts and rings. Next would be to make sure you are torquing the rifle to the same amount when you remount the barrel. If that doesn't help the movement, then it will be a trial and error type of investigation to find out why you are moving the POI when you take it down.

jrickman

I read somewhere the other day those 10/22s are problematic when you don't follow ruger's instructions for re-assembly to the letter. The gist was, tighter is not necessarily better. Barrel nut too tight caused wandering zero on receiver mounted optics.

jmoser

There is a pretty specific procedure in the manual for pretensioning the bbl nut prior to first assembly.

Mine works fine - read up and try from the beginning again; ie loosen all the way and carefully count the turns to closest 1/8 turn. From there make minor adjustments if needed to find a sweet spot.

bullgator

Thanks. I'll try redoing the tension. The gun shot so well I really want to get this fixed.