Stoeger vs Mossberg o/u

rosewood

I too own a Stoeger Condor O/U in 12 gauge. Bought it about 12-15 years ago at Dick's for $300. The finish isn't pristine, but it has always went bang when I pulled the trigger. It locks up tight. Have shot dove and skeet with it. It ain't as pretty as those $1000+ guns, but it has done everything I have asked it to do. I myself have always believed the O/Us were way overpriced. I think they cost so much because they are thought of as a distinguished/rich man's gun and they are willing to pay for it. From a manufacturing standpoint, typical automatic shotgun has more moving parts and more things that have to go right for it to function. Therefore IHMO, they should cost more. Don't give that CensoredCensored about barrel regulation, all you are doing is lining up two lines to intersect at a specific yardage, simple geometry with a little trial and error. That is the marketing departments excuse for the high cost.

Rosewood

I too own a Stoeger Condor O/U in 12 gauge. Bought it about 12-15 years ago at Dick's for $300. The finish isn't pristine, but it has always went bang when I pulled the trigger. It locks up tight. Have shot dove and skeet with it. It ain't as pretty as those $1000+ guns, but it has done everything I have asked it to do. I myself have always believed the O/Us were way overpriced. I think they cost so much because they are thought of as a distinguished/rich man's gun and they are willing to pay for it. From a manufacturing standpoint, typical automatic shotgun has more moving parts and more things that have to go right for it to function. Therefore IHMO, they should cost more. Don't give that CensoredCensored about barrel regulation, all you are doing is lining up two lines to intersect at a specific yardage, simple geometry with a little trial and error. That is the marketing departments excuse for the high cost.

Rosewood
I disagree. The real skill is fitting any gun with inertia or rebound hammers. It takes a gunsmith. You can manufacturer all the parts for an automatic on a CNC machine and assemble it on an assembly line. However, fitting the action, adjusting the barrel regulation, and setting the gun to cock on the recoil of the first shot takes the skill of a Smith and adds cost. You say "don't give. ...you are just lining up the barrels!" It still takes time and adds to the cost.

Last edited: