found it the other morning

Attachments

• 20170916_095433_resized.jpg
    20170916_095433_resized.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 506

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's an Amanita. Can't say which species from the pics, but it looks close to one color phase of the fly agaric. Most Amanitas are poisonous, with several being deadly poisonous. The deadliest mushrooms on earth are in that genus. The fly agaric is also hallucinogenic.

j_seph

Thanks, I figured when I zoomed in and seen how the flash lit those little spots up it would probably make ya see spots lol

j_seph

Vikings, who had a reputation for fierceness, are said to have ingested this mushroom prior to invading a village.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Vikings, who had a reputation for fierceness, are said to have ingested this mushroom prior to invading a village.

The American collections of the species seem to have a lot more nasty toxins mixed in with the hallucinogens than the European ones. You'll puke and have horrible stomach cramps and a terrible headache while you're seeing snakes, apparently.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The American collections of the species seem to have a lot more nasty toxins mixed in with the hallucinogens than the European ones. You'll puke and have horrible stomach cramps and a terrible headache while you're seeing snakes, apparently.
And if you are very lucky with the choice, won't need a liver transplant if you survive. I've read accounts that smaller puffballs can resemble the early "button" stage of Amanita and the way to distinguish is to cut it open and if there are the makings of a stem and cap, "Danger, Will Robinson, danger. " I've also read that Lobster mushrooms can take over the Amanitas with the end result being non-toxic. No thanks, make my mushrooms Chanterelles. ;) Gil

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And if you are very lucky with the choice, won't need a liver transplant if you survive. I've read accounts that smaller puffballs can resemble the early "button" stage of Amanita and the way to distinguish is to cut it open and if there are the makings of a stem and cap, "Danger, Will Robinson, danger. " I've also read that Lobster mushrooms can take over the Amanitas with the end result being non-toxic. No thanks, make my mushrooms Chanterelles. ;) Gil

The Hypomyces fungus that attacks Amanitas is greenish-white, not orange. The orange "lobster mushroom" Hypomyces fungus apparently only attacks Russula and Lactarius. Around here, it's usually Russula brevipes. I've eaten probably several hundred pounds of lobsters over the years, and never had anything happen except a delicious meal. I have never been able to find a credible report of anybody getting sick from eating a lobster mushroom. Lobsters are good. They sell them in the grocery store, even.

I agree that Amatoxins are nothing to mess with. I know the species of Amanitas that are supposedly safe to eat, like the Caesar's mushroom- but I still don't eat them. No Amanitas for me. I also don't eat any Lepiotas, even though I know there are some good ones.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Thanks for the clarification. I found the source of my misunderstanding and I automatically equated toxic with Amanitas which wasn't what the author said. I have yet to see Lobsters in the wild although I have seen them at Whole Paycheck.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the clarification. I found the source of my misunderstanding and I automatically equated toxic with Amanitas which wasn't what the author said. I have yet to see Lobsters in the wild although I have seen them at Whole Paycheck.

They are really common here. My wife and I picked about five pounds last weekend just walking around in the woods with the dog for a couple hours.