Got tired of catching trout!

Scallen2112

Well, yesterday was pretty special. I think that might have been the first time in my life I got tired of catching fish and moved on from a producing spot.

Launched about 11 a.m. and made a small run to a spot where two rivers meet. the point of that junction has a large flat on one side, and a small cove bounded by oyster rakes on the other. We pulled up in about 6 feet of water and I put down the anchor to rig the rods with popping corks (still had whiting rigs on prom the day before.) I rigged my wife's first and baited in up for her (she refuses to touch live shrimp). Took about five seconds from her bait hitting the water for her to have the first trout. I finally quit baiting her hook after the fourth so I could finish getting mine rigged. We filled the cooler and kept fishing for the fun of it. For about three hours it was practically every cast produced a fish, and we moved maybe a total of 30 yards the whole time. We brought home 19 of the better ones, and who knows how many we released - maybe 50, 60? This is when I was a little over half way through cleaning them and got tired of sticking my hand in ice water to get the next one, so I dumped the remaining ones in the kitchen sink (much to my wife's horror).

doOLmI.jpg

Finally, I just got tired of catching fish we were not keeping anyway (strange huh?) We went and explored a creek I had never been up and found a place that looked like it might hold some reds. Well all we found were more trout and this guy, who gave me one hella fight on light tackle before making a star appearance at dinner.

ZyFwbB.jpg

The water temps here have actually gone up in the last couple of weeks. I was measuring 62-63 back then and we measured from 64-65 yesterday, which seems to be a good range for them to be up on the flats. I had taken a rod rigged with a jig head and had intended on trying some drops to find a new pattern, but never needed to use it.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
You gotta big 'head...
...and some trout dinners!
Way to catch em up!