Eating Mergansers

chappy2525

I am fairly new to duck hunting. My buddies and I have been shooting a few hooded mergansers the last week or two and all I keep hearing is that they are not worth the time to prepare to eat. Should we start avoiding these birds? Or does anyone have any suggestions on how to cook them?

I kill all I can. They kick wood duck chicks out of the nest and I have a guy that makes sausage out of them.

kevbo3333

I have a place that's loaded with them but I don't shoot them. I took some friends out there that want a good drake for the wall but other than that I just let them hang out. All they are good for is Added motion in my decoy spread!!

27metalman

Like Killer says... plus they eat up your fish.

T-N-T

I shoot em dead as I might (likely won't) not see any other ducks on the day's I see hoods.

So if I'm going through the effort to hunt ducks in ga, I shoot what ducks show up

Sauces and such make a boot eatable

Hoss78

The only way I cook megansers is no marinade or seasoning and grill alongside woodie breast or a nice deer backstrap flip a couple times cut to bite size pieces and feed to dogs. They love um!

little rascal

Cajuns also eat coots!

If you ever eat coots, you will throw your ducks away or give it to the dogs. Most tender breast ever, easy as a rabbit to skin. The Gizzards are larger than the breast and good if you know how to fix'em.