what round for 44 mag???

Darkhorse

Been hunting with this round in both carbines and my SBH since 1980, when the kids were still home we had 2 Ruger auto carbines and a couple of SBH's.
I shot a small buck with my SBH and 200 grain hollow points. Entered like a bullet and came out like a shotgun. It killed the deer but I prefer a bullet that comes out like a mushroom. So we started hunting with 240 JSP (A jacketed bullet with about 1/4" of exposed solid lead no hollow point).
This was back when the doe limits were first starting to increase. I had 2 boys and a wife hunting. The 44 JSP had many opportunities as the boys and wife generally shot most of the deer they saw. This adds up to many years of hunting with that bullet. I still have the first Ruger carbine we bought and my old Superblack Hawk. I shoot mostly handloads, always have, but have used factory fodder on occasion. Both work well.
Point is I only hunt with 240 grain JSP's.
If a big shielded boar decides to teach you a lesson, then I don't want any hollow points in my pistol.

jmoser

My .44 SRH is a 50-75 yard gun; I load 300 gr XTP and LBT bullets. I really prefer the heavier bullet vs light and fast; anything 300 gr going above 1100 fps at impact is going to hammer a deer and punch in deep without blowing it apart on exit. Great on hogs too !!

My 1250 fps 300 XTP load goes subsonic at 100 so I use the .454 for longer shooting. I can print groups at 100M [109 yd] but keep a red dot on the .44 now; scoped up on the .454.

QuailJunkie

Also as stated above. The 300 grain will fall flat over 100 yards. Another option is the 225 grain hornady leverevolution. Always shot great for me. .

Dub

As stated above. Winchester white box 240 grain is hard to beat for .44 mag.

Agreed.....and it can generally be found for decent prices.....unless you are in Gander Mountain. I was shocked at their insanely high ammo prices....no wonder the place was virtually empty of customers.

Also as stated above. The 300 grain will fall flat over 100 yards. Another option is the 225 grain hornady leverevolution. Always shot great for me. .

I'm going to try that 225gr version in my revolver for those perfect close shots. I'll pass at extend ranges.....unless I'm also carrying the .45/70 rifle, in which case I'll run the bigger Leverevolution shell. :shoot:

And to think that I used to feel like the .44 mag was a sizable shell.......

underwoodammo.com

Although its a 44 so you could prob shoot an acorn out of it and get a deer. I am sure what Apex said is fine too. But for those that don't load underwood has the best stuff out there. They have XTP's and hard casts. But some will say hard casts don't qualify as an expanding bullet. That's up to you and the GW, if one asks.

I got a new S&W for Christmas and Underwood by far shot the most inconsistently out of the 4 off the shelf boxes I CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored. ?????

Uncle Joe

HSM makes a 305 gr load they call 'Bear Loads". I carry then in both my mod 69 S&W and my Ruger #3

GregoryB.

Just traded for a 10 inch 44 Mag barrel for my Contender. After reading this thread I went to Walmart and got the 240 grain Winchester JSP. My pistol shoots them great. Did have 2 that failed to fire with the first trigger pull. Pulled them out and rotated them and they fired fine. Don’t know what the issue was.

rosewood

Some contenders don't hit the primer hard enough. I had the issue a few occasions then I swapped to using Federal primers in lieu of the winchesters and they have worked flawless since.

rwg

Just traded for a 10 inch 44 Mag barrel for my Contender. After reading this thread I went to Walmart and got the 240 grain Winchester JSP. My pistol shoots them great. Did have 2 that failed to fire with the first trigger pull. Pulled them out and rotated them and they fired fine. Don’t know what the issue was.

You might try replacing your hammer spring if it has some age on it. They do weaken over time. Do you have a hammer extension installed?

rosewood

If you choose to do something to it, give TC/S&W a call and tell them your problem. They will give you a shipping label to send it in for free. All it will cost you is a trip to Fedex.

Rosewood

GregoryB.

The 44 Mag is the only round that has given me any issues. My other barrels/calibers fire fine. There is no hammer extension on it.

rosewood

The 44 Mag is the only round that has given me any issues. My other barrels/calibers fire fine. There is no hammer extension on it.

Could be a head space issue then. Take the barrel off and drop a loaded cartridge in the chamber, does it sit flush or below flush? If below flush, that may be your problem. That is something TC should replace for you.

Other possibility is the gap between the barrel and frame is causing a head space issue. I think you can shim the plate that the firing pin comes through, but it might not work on other barrels then.

Rosewood

BeefMaster

It's hard to go wrong with the "white box." I've used those in the model 29. I roll my own 300 XTP's over H110 (really warm) for the Redhawk.

7Mag Hunter

I used 180gr to 240gr in my super blackhawk, 7 1/2" barrel, and all
worked very well on deer.....i liked the 180gr best because of slightly
less recoil....they also expanded a little better than the heavier 240gr
bullets...I hunted with the SBH for 4 yrs and killed deer with it every year....

Jester896

Senior Clown
I am having some trouble finding projectiles in .240 JSP when I look. I just don't see $1 per round for loaded ammo like I do for rifles for some reason.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Nice! Thanks! Ive had them on my list but no notification. I see they have the 250 box of Nosler but still no Speer

Darkhorse

Hard to find but I hunt with Speer 240 grain Gold Dot's. Hands down this is the best bullet I've ever used in a 44 mag. My personal supply is getting low so I"ll be looking for some myself.