Point ID

2bbshot

Thoughts on this one gents? Has a vertical flute both sides of the base but I haven’t found anything in this spot that’s of Paleo age. I’ll clean it up and try to get. A better pic

Attachments

• 1BC5CCCF-3A3C-4682-91E4-696EF2484D4E.jpeg
    1BC5CCCF-3A3C-4682-91E4-696EF2484D4E.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 586

MIG

Not paleo. I think what you're seeing as "flutes" are probably thinning flake scars left over from the formation of the base concavity. IMO, it's late Archaic-early woodland period (3500 years old, give or take 1K), maybe a Savannah River type point.

2bbshot

More I look at it I agree it’s a small savanna river type point. That matches the timeframe from this site. Thanks MIG!

QSVC

Many times older, eg paleo/paleo transitional, points were found by later peoples and updated to their point preferences du joir. I have a few Daltons that were found and later made into drills for example. It would be pretty neat (and important to the archeological record) to find an updated Clovis.

2bbshot

Any of you guys found any paleo points in Ga? I only have one and it is from Saskatchewan. Tips broke nothing special pics are on here somewhere.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Any of you guys found any paleo points in Ga? I only have one and it is from Saskatchewan. Tips broke nothing special pics are on here somewhere.

A lot of Paleo points have been found throughout Georgia and the South. I have one whole one and several broken ones.

I believe Alabama holds the record for the most Clovis points found, out of all the states.

Willjo

The Paleo data base for Georgia has hundreds if not thousands of paleo points that was found in Georgia and recorded in the Paleoindian database of the Americas, Georgia section

Willjo

That point is most likely a Savannah River point Re sharpened by the Savannah River people.

2bbshot

The Paleo data base for Georgia has hundreds if not thousands of paleo points that was found in Georgia and recorded in the Paleoindian database of the Americas, Georgia section

Thats an incredible source of knowledge. Great pics I had no idea we had that much Paleo activity in the south.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thats an incredible source of knowledge. Great pics I had no idea we had that much Paleo activity in the south.

All the waterways from central Florida, Georgia, and Alabama must have been travel corridors for the Paleo People. There have been some incredible finds in the rivers and along the banks. Some truly beautiful works of art too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

As Nic said, there is considerably more evidence and artifacts from Clovis and related Paleo people in the southeast than any other part of the country, much more than in the west. I tend to concur with Dr. Bruce Bradley's theory that Clovis people were Solutreans from France instead of Asiatic people who came over the Bering land bridge. He has a lot of credible evidence to back it up.

As for the original post, those aren't flutes, just basal thinning flakes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
All the waterways from central Florida, Georgia, and Alabama must have been travel corridors for the Paleo People. There have been some incredible finds in the rivers and along the banks. Some truly beautiful works of art too.

Do you by chance know Rick Schwartz? He has one of the best collections of Florida Paleos, Hillsboroughs, and Newnans I've ever seen. Breathtaking stuff.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Do you by chance know Rick Schwartz? He has one of the best collections of Florida Paleos, Hillsboroughs, and Newnans I've ever seen. Breathtaking stuff.

His name sounds familiar.