Hunting over bait fines

merc123

Someone I know got nailed in N. GA for $250. He didn't know the corn was there either. They found 3 kernels burried under the leaves.

Fines

The state used to take vehicles for spotlighting,as the vehicle was used to shine the deer.They took guns,also.The procedure was stopped due to the time it took to process paper work,deal with titles,sell the vehicle,etc.It took the Ranger`s time up,keeping him away from the woods and lakes.The owner who lost the vehicle still had to pay for it.I hated to see this change,but I understand the reason.

GA DAWG

Heck I could get caught hunting over bait without permission and it would not be 500 dollars LOL.....

Davans

not true!!! you are responsible for a 200 yard radius around you. 200 yards is 200 yards.

If you are scouting your neighbores property you are treaspassing.

There is no resonable , legal way to know if your neighbore is puting out corn unless you can see it from your property.

A rangers discretion is one thing, and varys greatly from one to another. Writing you a ticket for bait being on your neighbores property would be a discrace and I doubt it would hold up in court.

Davans

Yeah and deer hunters don't lie either.....where is that written in the regulations??? You ain't gonna convince a GW that has been scouting out a spot waiting for someone to hunt it for a week that you didn't know about the bait.....I had no clue i was near any bait, i still got a ticket.....he even stated that he didn't think it was fair and din't like it, but his superior set him out on this spot so he had to do what he had to do....they had many many hours invested in catching me.....that was my second trip to the club......once in july, once in october.

Was the corn on your property?
Just saw your earlier post about it being " just across the property line" was it in sight of where you were hunting?

shotgun

Now to answer the real Question. The fine is at the descrestion of the probate Judge of the county where the
offense happen!!!!!!!!!! That is why you see them from $50 on up.

JL242

I have been hunting in Georgia since 1997. I have NEVER seen a Game Warden(DNR or whatever). This year , I'll probably see one every time I go hunting, just for posting this. There are no Game Wardens in Clay County, just ask the locals.............:rofl:

simpleman30

there shouldn't be any fines for baiting. there shouldn't be any penalties for baiting. if it was detrimental to the deer herd or "unsportsmanlike", then other states wouldn't allow it. some of the biggest deer i've every personally seen killed have been by my family in texas who killed those deer over corn. IMHO, it's just another way for the DNR to get money out of the hard working people who pay their sub-par salaries. i've never been fined for hunting over bait nor do i practice it aside from using it to get pictures of deer on my trail-cam during the offseason. i don't need bait to kill deer. in my book, corn or baiting in any form is no different than food plots, rattling antlers, calls, or scents; "baiting" is just as "un-natural" as the so-called legal means to attract deer.

duckcrazy

In Laurens Co., legalized baiting would help the deer population. :bounce: We have so many people shooting deer from the road (day and night),:shoot: that some corn in the woods would save some of those deer. Just go ahead and make it legal already. O-Yea fines! We don't have enough game wardens in our area to even worry about corn unless someone turns someone else in. They have to get the sheriff department to help just to keep the road hunting somewhat in control. Yet, our state government is talking about cutting down on the number of wardens state wide.:banginghe

kcausey

Banned
Was the corn on your property?
Just saw your earlier post about it being " just across the property line" was it in sight of where you were hunting?

It was across the line by 10-20 feet.....i could see one leg of a tripod feeder after the GW pointed it out 75 yards or so from the stand i was hunting. I was ready to take the $375 out of the fellas you know what though....he tried playing dumb, didn't work with me....btw.....those guys hunted without my father and myself that year.....after i got caught, somehow a little bird got them (about 6-7 different NC hunters) caught with.....hunting over salt, hunting over corn, killing a bobcat out of season, two of them killed 3 bucks, shooting from a public road............the GW madea personal call to thank me for the leads afterward.

My father killed the best buck all year on the property that year one day after my incident....made it a little better seeing how he killed him out of the "corn guy's" best stand!

kcausey

Banned
In Laurens Co., legalized baiting would help the deer population. :bounce: We have so many people shooting deer from the road (day and night),:shoot: that some corn in the woods would save some of those deer. Just go ahead and make it legal already. O-Yea fines! We don't have enough game wardens in our area to even worry about corn unless someone turns someone else in. They have to get the sheriff department to help just to keep the road hunting somewhat in control. Yet, our state government is talking about cutting down on the number of wardens state wide.:banginghe

I saw a rumor floating around that they only have a $300/month gas allowance this year.....if that's the case they'll be desk jockeys after the dove opener......until october 1st.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
curious thread

Hammack

I have been hunting in Georgia since 1997. I have NEVER seen a Game Warden(DNR or whatever). This year , I'll probably see one every time I go hunting, just for posting this. There are no Game Wardens in Clay County, just ask the locals.............:rofl:

Wanna bet?:smash: Actually two live in the county and both live about a mile down the road from me. Ranger Atchley, He's a good guy, but if you are in the wrong then he will get you. Which is what he should do. The other I believe is Adam. (not sure of his last name could be Deal or Dill) he works the Hanahatchee WMA but can and has helped out in Clay as well. I've also seen BJ down here from Quitman county at times. Any local that tells you there is no game warden is full of it.

Pete Gray

Hancock County last season....$850 (One of our club members found out the hard way.):smash: Its up to the local courts.

Cottontail

They need to make it Legal its no big deal . I hunt in a cow pasture & have a cow feeder with a roof with as much corn as it will hold its perfectly legal its for the cows..... whats the diffrence ????

Luke0927

Here is my take on it...a baiting permit should be sold for $50 that allows you to hunt over bait...or follow the current regulations if you don't want to hunt over bait....if caught hunting over bait without the permit mandatory $1000 fine. It would be as simple as adding it to the licenses. It should be written that all funds received from permits stay with the GA DNR

Now whats wrong with that.......

00buck

Hancock county has got to be the worst county in georgia! One of our members paid 799 dollors two weeks ago.