Atv pull behind bush hog

Chadx1981

I wanted to know any thought s or experience you all have had with something like this. I was interested in a 42-44 inch but not sure if I should go with a swisher or a bush hog. I'm in the market so if u all know anyone let me know please. Are there any other brands that are comparable or better. I'm looking for a used unit. Thank you!

skiff23

Depends on your purpose of use. I have a swisher. It does fine for regular grass , but will not Bushhog larger thicker weeds. I haven't used mine in a while, I just use the tractor. I saw a bush hog brand i liked very well, but could not justify a $ 1000 for it.

Local Boy

There's two types of pull behinds, a grass mower and a brush mower. I've had one of each by Swisher. The grass mower was about like a riding mower deck. Because you could pull it with an ATV, you could cut some pretty good weeds and small brush. The brush mower had swinging blades. It didn't cut grass very good because the blades were flat and didn't have any lift to make the grass stand up to be cut. I was pleased with both. The brush mower was branded Polaris, but it was a Swisher with gray paint and Polaris logo. I ordered replacement parts from Swisher.

I recently sold the brush mower. It took up a lot of room in storage. No complaints about either mower.

Local Boy

Here's the current version of the one that I had. Mine had a 10.5 Tecumseh engine. I had no complaints. It was heavy for one person to wrestle around. With the short turning radius of an ATV and the long tongue of the mower, it was hard to back. So, I usually had to manually back it on to my trailer. But, as far as operation, it was fine.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/swisher-reg-44-in-12-5-hp-rough-cut-trailcutter-reg--4414308[/URL]

The DR field and brush mower would be hard to beat. I have one with a 20 hp Kohler on it. 44 inch cut. Hard to believe they will do what they are advertised to do but they will and then some. All of my friends were skeptical as to what it would do until they saw it in action. Had a swisher, no comparison at all. Of course I am talking about the tow behind model.

Chadx1981

Tryin to stay positive. I went with 44 inch rugged cut swisher. I know it's not top of line but hope to upgrade to tractor soon. I hope it does what I want. U should send me a video of ur unit in action.

Never thought about videoing it in action, but that would be a good idea. No disrespect intended if that is how my original reply came across. As long as your swisher rugged cut does what you want, it doesn't matter if it is top of the line or not.