Another Gator story

DaddyPaul

Well I finally got out the last two nights to do some lizard chasin'. With all the storms and power outages I didn't get to go much last week but the FWC is giving us an extra week in October if we need it. Sunday night we chased 'em all night until around 5 AM. I was trying to harpoon one and that didn't go too well. I knocked a couple of chunks of meat out of a few but couldn't get it to stick. We also had some hooked on treble hooks but lost them too. Last night I had my AR34 set up with the Muzzy Gator rig and I will never throw another harpoon again. The first gator we pulled up on sat up nicely and I got an arrow in him from about 15 yards. He pulled the bouy around for a minute and we got him to the boat and I stuck him with a "real" Muzzy in the smokehouse and he didn't like it much. A few more tense moments filled with three rednecks running around in circles in the boat and me trying to load a bang stick without detonating the round into the hull and we had him back to the boat. The bang stick is nothing to be messed up with! End of story.................he was DRT! Slightly over 6 feet, male. We messed up and got county wide permits and just aren't seeing any big gators. We have seen two over 8 feet and just couldn't pull it off. Next year I will change my area for my permit for sure. Some of my buddies are passing a hundred gators to pick the one they want to shoot. We ain't culling down here. One more night left so anything is possible. I still can't get used to a gator laying in the bottom of the boat. Pics are forthcoming as soon as I get them.

stumpman

Banned
DP thats cheatin when yoou spear them you are supposed to find them then get close enough to jump on them and you have to catch that mouth first and hold on tight cause hes gonna start rollin with ya on his back but just dont let go of that mouth get him on his back and rub his belly and he will go to sleep then duct tape his legs and mouth do the legs first if you do the mouth first and he gets away he will starve to death but be carefull the tape doesnt stick good on the wet skin wrap it a bunch on the legs then load him in the boat then you can tie his legs with rope thats the real mans way to catch a gator thats fair chase gator hunting at its finest make sure a friend has a video camera along also.

stumpman

Banned
DP you notice i didnt say thats the way i do it id do it like you did it on a 6' or larger one but we do catch the 5' ones that way but there not big enough to roll when i pick them up we got a 4' one last week out of the ditch up front and put him in my pond i think he left with all the rain havnt seen him in a couple of days.