New hog / deer rifle

Beretta682

Just traded for this. Been looking for a good one for a while. Remington 788 carbine in .308.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 1,252

Killer Kyle

Hog killer for sure. Armpit shot for the heart, base of the ear for the rest. This thing ain't proven until is spills some blood. Kill a hog and show us some pics!!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Hog killer for sure. Armpit shot for the heart, base of the ear for the rest. This thing ain't proven until is spills some blood. Kill a hog and show us some pics!!!

X2!! Lets get that thing in a different pose.....like laying across a pig:banana:

Nice gun man...........hope you enjoy it!:cool:

George30022

My Rifle of choice

This is my .308 - A Marlin , .308 - with a Custom Boyds Praire Hunter stlye. A Vortex CrossFire 4-20 X 50mm. Shoots tight.

Attachments

• My308.jpg
    My308.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 824

tracker12

That is a sweet find. Those old 788's were great shooters. Don't see many around these days at least not in that condition. When I was checking I did not see that they ever made the carbine model in 308. They show 7mm-08 and 308 in a lefty.

Last edited:

Beretta682

Just got it back from the smith. Had the crown recessed, pillar and glass bedded action, free floated the barrel, and added a nikon p308 scope. Recoil pad will be next. Kicks like a mule.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 638
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 645
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 614

ripplerider

That exact rifle was my first new firearm purchase. I loved the way it handled but it had a ferocious muzzle-blast. Stock will scratch very easily too. Traded it 30 odd years ago for a Model 700 30-06 that I will never part with. Yours is in great condition!

Tugboat1

Nice rig! I shoot hogs with my 788 in 30/30 after years of being my deer rifle. Its an effective short range weapon. Dead on. I mounted a night vision scope on it last year but the eye relief is a challenge, being too far away, but I manage with creative "shouldering". Wish I could find a mounting solution. Which smith did you use? I need a trigger replacement and some servicing. Been looking for one in 7mm 08, in good condition for a while.

Beretta682

Specialized firearms out in Carrolton. Lynn "Doc" Holt and his partner Doug did the work. My next upgrade will be the Timney trigger.