Remington 722 cambered in .244

DannyW

It isn't the bullet weight it is the length. You might try some 105 gr round nose bullets. I had good accuracy with the 80 gr Barnes. My 722 shot good enough for deer with 100 gr ammo

Agreed. The operative statement in this quote is "shot good enough for deer".

I personally reload and am in constant search of the holy accuracy grail myself but this question did not sound like an bench rest accuracy quest. It sounded more like someone who has a particular gun and for whatever reason they want to make it their go-to deer rifle. Not their target rifle.

And even a poor shooting rifle, one that spits out 2"- 3" groups at 100 yards, is still plenty accurate for 95+% of the deer hunting done in Georgia.

BriarPatch99

It isn't the bullet weight it is the length. You might try some 105 gr round nose bullets. I had good accuracy with the 80 gr Barnes. My 722 shot good enough for deer with 100 gr ammo

You may have missed the discussion of bullet length in the early part of this thread ....

Do you have an available source of 105 gr. Round nose ? Do you mind sharing the source?

sghoghunter

Agreed. The operative statement in this quote is "shot good enough for deer".

I personally reload and am in constant search of the holy accuracy grail myself but this question did not sound like an bench rest accuracy quest. It sounded more like someone who has a particular gun and for whatever reason they want to make it their go-to deer rifle. Not their target rifle.

And even a poor shooting rifle, one that spits out 2"- 3" groups at 100 yards, is still plenty accurate for 95+% of the deer hunting done in Georgia.

2 to 3in groups at 100yds is unacceptable here. If a quarter won't touch a 3 shot group with ANY rifle I have it won't go hunting