Cabela's in Georgia???

DBM78

They were talking about building one up I-75 in Adairsville a couple years ago. Rumor was that there was a problem with the City and business taxes. Or tax credits in the city. But that was a couple years ago something may of changed since them.

Buzz

Not coming - Cabelas said Adairsville was a poor location and they canceled the store. There are not any plans to open a store at any other location in Georgia.

simpleman30

there is plans to open a cabela's in georgia. i saw something in the Dodge Reports or other construction website about a bid date and requests for proposal to bid on it. i'm having my project coordinator at work look into it for me.

The AmBASSaDEER

ther was a rumor of one in Adairsville( i think) but nothin ever came of it...

The AmBASSaDEER

will not happen while Sonny P is the govener

Oh junk...why not? Ill have to make a call and get it added to his Sonny-do list

Doc_Holliday23

there are two reports:

one was that a large delegation of Adairsville residents sent letters of protest to Cabelas and their local government that they did not want the store there because of any traffic or growth it might bring.

The other, more probably reason is that Cabelas was asking the Georgia Dept of Revenue to exempt their catalog and internet sales but they would not. So cabelas pulled out.

The Cabela’s project planned for Adairsville appears dead this morning after the Nebraska-based outdoor retailer told Adairsville officials they would not build the store it had planned on Interstate 75.

“”I don’t know how to react,” said Orlando Wilson, a Northwest Georgia businessman who had been working with Cabela’s to bring the retailer to Georgia.” I’m disappointed. We put a lot of work and effort into the deal.”

Cabela’s announced record revenue Thursday. The company reported that total revenue for the third quarter of fiscal 2007 increased 11.5 percent to $546.8 million compared to $490.5 million for the same period last year.

Third quarter net income was $13.2 million, or $0.20 per diluted share, compared to $15.0 million, or $0.23 per diluted share, for the same period a year ago.

Total revenue for the nine months ended Sept. 29, 2007, increased 13.8 percent to $1.46 billion compared to $1.28 billion for the same period last year, the company reported. Cabela’s had announced in 2005 that it planned to open a 165,000-square-foot retail store at Ga. 140 and I-75 in Adairsville.

But in Thursday’s financial report, Cabela’s said it planned to open seven stores in 2008. In previous statements, it had said it planned to open eight. Asked about the change, Cabela’s said the Adairsville project was off the drawing board, Wilson said.

“They never got a favorable tax ruling from the Georgia Department of Revenue,” he said. Cabela’s had been asking to state to exempt catalog and Internet sales made at an Adairsville store from state sales tax.

Wilson held out some hope for a store sometime in the future.

“I still think if we can get a deal pulled together, they may look again,” he said Friday morning.“There are a lot of disappointed people in Adairsville.”

Alvin Long, chairman of the Gordon County Commission, said he was not surprised Cabela’s decision.

“We have been dealing with this off and on for several years now,” Long said Friday morning.

And where Wilson saw disappointment, Long say an opportunity for Gordon County.

“We have property available in Gordon County and would love the opportunity to talk with Cabela’s if they decide to look at this project again,” he said.

“The fact is that we are located between Atlanta and Chattanooga, we have abundant water recourses, especially in the Belwood Road-Union Grove Road areas,” Long said.“We also have developers in Gordon County who see what is happening and have been working behind the scenes with the Development Authority to make things happen.”

Long said that the decision should not hurt plans to build a new interstate exit on I-75 at Union Grove Road. The project, which has been on Gordon County’s highway wishlist for a number of years, was put on the DOT’s fast track when Cabela’s made its initial announcement.

“That project is tied into the south Calhoun bypass, and I’m sure it will go forward,” Long said.“The former governor, the present governor, and the Georgia DOT have all made it a priority long before we started any talks with Cabela’s.”

That was from November 2007 in the Calhoun Times. The link does not exist anymore. I think the Gordon County plans are also dead due to the same reason.

Buzz

Doc - the letter that Cabelas sent said that further marketing analysis determined that the location was unfavorable and that a competitor (Bass Pro) was planning to build another store between Atlanta and Chattanooga (near Acworth) to cut Cabelas off from the Atlanta business. Reports of tax issues keep surfacing but that is what the rejection letter from Cabelas said.

I have no idea why they cared about pulling from Chattanooga anyway. Cobb County is the 4th largest county in Metro Atlanta and has more people than Metro Chattanooga. Seems that Acworth would have been a much better location to build the store in the first place. Seems that Cabelas marketing research concluded what anyone that could see a map would determine inside of 30 seconds.

HMwolfpup

said.

I have no idea why they cared about pulling from Chattanooga anyway. Cobb County is the 4th largest county in Metro Atlanta and has more people than Metro Chattanooga. Seems that Acworth would have been a much better location to build the store in the first place. Seems that Cabelas marketing research concluded what anyone that could see a map would determine inside of 30 seconds.

Cobb County is 20 minutes from Adairsville (or closer)...Bass Pro is 40 minutes or more from Cobb county...Adairsville is 30-40 minutes from Chattanooga...I can see why they were thinking about adairsville, they would have gotten Chattanooga, NW GA and NW metro Atlanta. Most everyone I know would rather go to Cabelas than BP...I know the only reason I get things from BP any more is b/c I get several BP gift cards throughout the year....but I never go to the store, do it all online...if Cabelas had come to Adairsville, I would probalby never order over the net again (not for hunting gear any way).

I live about15 minutes from where the were going to build Cabelas. Everything I heard pointed back to the taxes as the reason they didn't build....now with all the layoffs it sure would have been nice if the store would have opened. At least that would have been a few more jobs for that area.

Doc_Holliday23

very true. Cobb County certainly has a ton of people, and if nothing else, metro atlanta has enough people to keep the revenue rolling in for a store like Cabelas.

I mean, do you think they realize how annoyed sportsmen are with Bass Pro Shops on the whole? That place would rather sell Martin Truex t-shirts and chocolate covered pecans than reloading equipment.

Buzz

Cobb County is 20 minutes from Adairsville (or closer)...Bass Pro is 40 minutes or more from Cobb county...Adairsville is 30-40 minutes from Chattanooga...I can see why they were thinking about adairsville, they would have gotten Chattanooga, NW GA and NW metro Atlanta. Most everyone I know would rather go to Cabelas than BP...I know the only reason I get things from BP any more is b/c I get several BP gift cards throughout the year....but I never go to the store, do it all online...if Cabelas had come to Adairsville, I would probalby never order over the net again (not for hunting gear any way).

I live about15 minutes from where the were going to build Cabelas. Everything I heard pointed back to the taxes as the reason they didn't build....now with all the layoffs it sure would have been nice if the store would have opened. At least that would have been a few more jobs for that area.

Except Cabeals didn't say anything about taxes they said they rejected the location. Why is that so hard for people to understand? Do you guys think they made up a story about the location because they were afraid to say it was over taxes? I don't.

FWIW - Metro Atlanta has over 5m people. The numbers simply don't make any sense to have picked Adairsville, they could have caught a lot more business putting it somewhere in Metro Atlanta. When the economy picks back up, maybe they'll consider a Georgia site again - but I doubt it will be as far out in the sticks. According to Mapquest, Adairsville is 44 miles from Marietta and 62 miles from Atlanta.

Here is the their criteria, Adairsville falls short on the population by a longshot. Acworth would have been perfect.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...otential_loc.html&cm_re=retail*left*potential

HMwolfpup

Except Cabeals didn't say anything about taxes they said they rejected the location. Why is that so hard for people to understand? Do you guys think they made up a story about the location because they were afraid to say it was over taxes? I don't.

FWIW - Metro Atlanta has over 5m people. The numbers simply don't make any sense to have picked Adairsville, they could have caught a lot more business putting it somewhere in Metro Atlanta. When the economy picks back up, maybe they'll consider a Georgia site again - but I doubt it will be as far out in the sticks. According to Mapquest, Adairsville is 44 miles from Marietta and 62 miles from Atlanta.

Here is the their criteria, Adairsville falls short on the population by a longshot. Acworth would have been perfect.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...otential_loc.html&cm_re=retail*left*potential

guess they changed their criteria from 2 years ago when it was announce on their site that they were opening a store in Adairsville GA. It still listed on their site for a while after the deal fell through.

Think they might not have given the entire reason in their rejection letter so as to have some bargaining power if they do decide to open a location in GA?

BME013

Oh junk...why not? Ill have to make a call and get it added to his Sonny-do list

I know for a fact that Sonny is friends with John L the owner of BPS. He will not sign off for a tax break to get cabelas in GA. Keep in mind BPS now has 3 stores open plus one scheduled to open.

tinytim

Another BPS

I know for a fact that Sonny is friends with John L the owner of BPS. He will not sign off for a tax break to get cabelas in GA. Keep in mind BPS now has 3 stores open plus one scheduled to open.

Where?

bowfish71

augusta is the one i assume he is talking about but they said a few weeks ago that they were suspending that store and all new stores due to the economy

Big John

Macon, Atlanta,Savannah and one coming to Augusta

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
The whole nation eventually travels I-75 right through GA at some point in time. Thats the reason Cabelas was looking at Adairsville, keeping in mind that although they say the Northern Arc is dead, any revitalization of it would bring traffic interchange about 5 miles south of the proposed Cabelas location. Isn't that why BP builds its store on the main drags as well? Taxes was the primary issue coming for a very close source in the land deal and the construction portion of the Cabelas in Adairsville. They will not talk about taxes to keep from spoiling future deals with the Next Gov.

Sonny is vested in BP, when all else fails...... Follow the Money. Cabelas will kill BP no matter where they put a store. Cabelas is a DESTINATION. Not Walmart. We miss it not happening here! Thanks Sonny!