Lewis and Clark

3ringer

I wish someone would make a great movie about the Lewis and Clark expedition. I read the book Undaunted Courage about the Lewis and Ckark expedition. I am amazed how they were able to complete that long journey. They fought harsh weather, sickness , terrain , Indians , starvation, equipment and a host of other things that could go wrong. Can you imagine the movie this would be if produced the right way. Who would you like to see cast as the main characters. The scenery for such a movie would probably have to filmed in Canada now. If you want to read a good book , I highly recommend the book Undaunted Courage .

Cmp1

BANNED
I've heard of the book,,,, sounds like a good read,,,, amazing feat for the time in history,,,,

GeorgiaBob

It was an amazing accomplishment. But if you look carefully at what they took with them, it becomes clear how they managed to cross an entire uncharted continent and return. Check how much Whiskey they started with!!!

Last edited:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've read Undaunted Courage a couple times. It's fantastic. I think the thing that stands out as the most remarkable of the entire expedition is that they only lost 1 member in the entire 2 years, and he died of fever. All those miles in Indian country, fighting rough weather in little boats, hounded by grizzlies, starving in the Rockies, and nobody died? That's amazing.

Lewis was a master of planning. I love looking over his packing list. Really a genius of forward thinking. He ordered cans of black powder and the cans were made of lead that could then be cut and molded into balls.

Dean

Read Undaunted Courage several times as well. I even attempted to read through copies of the original writings, non edited writings, that was a little more challenging.

Having hiked many many miles both on trail and off trail out west, even in some areas in the 'footsteps' of Lewis and Clark I am simply in awe. Bears and Indians are one thing, but the mosquitoes and the off trail terrain without quality hiking boots, portaging all their 'stuff', some days 20+ miles is almost more than I can wrap my head around.

Anyway, there are a few good documentary films from History Channel or National Geographic etc...but a movie similar to the Hugh Glass story (The Revenant), could be fun to watch.

3ringer

Read Undaunted Courage several times as well. I even attempted to read through copies of the original writings, non edited writings, that was a little more challenging.

Having hiked many many miles both on trail and off trail out west, even in some areas in the 'footsteps' of Lewis and Clark I am simply in awe. Bears and Indians are one thing, but the mosquitoes and the off trail terrain without quality hiking boots, portaging all their 'stuff', some days 20+ miles is almost more than I can wrap my head around.

Anyway, there are a few good documentary films from History Channel or National Geographic etc...but a movie similar to the Hugh Glass story (The Revenant), could be fun to watch.

My thoughts as well

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Undaunted Courage should be required reading in high school history. Anyone who is interested in the making of this country would like this book.

If they do make a movie on it, I hope it is better than the joke of the last Hugh Glass movie.

joepuppy

It is an awesome book. I'd love to see a movie as well. I do a lot of hiking out west, and I've hiked through a lot of areas they passed through. I can only imagine the great challenge it must have been in those days. The title is appropriate.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Undaunted Courage should be required reading in high school history. Anyone who is interested in the making of this country would like this book.

If they do make a movie on it, I hope it is better than the joke of the last Hugh Glass movie.

I've used excerpts from the book in my history classes for years.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I need to read the book. I did see a documentary on their expedition that was decent, I was amazed at some of what they went through, probably not as detailed as the book though.

Also, we were taught a little history on the Lewis and Clark expedition in school back in the day, enough that what they accomplished has always stuck with me over the years.

A movie would be awesome, if they could do it justice.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a well-red copy of Undaunted Courage on my shelf, along with the L&C Journals. Good stuff. And as Wes said, it amazed me that the only member of the expedition they lost was near the beginning, to appendicitis. They don't make many folks like those guys any more. Just reading of the routine backbreaking labor that they endured day after day is amazing, even without all the adventures and dangers they faced.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

The movie was entertaining enough, well worth watching, even though I hate DiCaprio. As far as movies these days go, it was better than most. And they made an effort to keep their stuff period-accurate. It bothered me that they took major liberties with the facts of Glass's story, though.

Mike 65

I believe there was/is a mini series based on the book on HBO. Not sure about details but you could research it.
Great book.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The movie was entertaining enough, well worth watching, even though I hate DiCaprio. As far as movies these days go, it was better than most. And they made an effort to keep their stuff period-accurate. It bothered me that they took major liberties with the facts of Glass's story, though.

Yea, that what I was talking about, how they didn`t tell the true story of what really happened after the bear fight. What really happened was more interesting than the Hollywood story.

Cmp1

BANNED
If you like this book read River of no return, about Teddy Roosevelt in S America,,,, great read,,,,actually I think it was River of Doubt,,,, I'm old,,,,

Last edited:

Cmp1

BANNED
How can the Revenant even compare to the real story of Lewis and Clark? Explain this to me,,,, I just don't see the relevance,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
I have a well-red copy of Undaunted Courage on my shelf, along with the L&C Journals. Good stuff. And as Wes said, it amazed me that the only member of the expedition they lost was near the beginning, to appendicitis. They don't make many folks like those guys any more. Just reading of the routine backbreaking labor that they endured day after day is amazing, even without all the adventures and dangers they faced.

Yeah, but how did they face starvation?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The Food Journal of Lewis & Clark.

Recipes for an Expedition, by Mary Gunderson

This is another good one to add to your library.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Yeah, but how did they face starvation?

They spent the winter of 1805 stuck in the Rockies trying to find a pass to lead them into the Columbia river valley. They ate their horses, and any dogs they could buy from the natives.

When they were in game-rich lands, it was astonishing the amount of meat they consumed. Hard labor of pushing/pulling the boats up the Missouri required thousands of calories per day.