Draining boat fuel

AllTerrainAngler

I have a 1989 bayliner cierra. I traded forthe boat and overhauled the engine. I have ran it with fuel directly in carb but fuel in tank has been sitting so i would like to drain it and get whatever is in the tank out. I am not sure how to go about this because fuel tank is under the rear deck and not removable.

WayneB

if boat is on trailer, siphoning it out comes cheap. Go through the filler neck instead of fuel line to avoid lodging trash in pickup tube.
I've backflushed fuel line with acetone and let it evaporate, then used a hose and compressed air to remove crud with decent results.
Depending on how foul the tank is, you may need to remove any screens at the pickup, and install a good fuel/water separator and have a spare filter handy the first several times out.

AllTerrainAngler

I was planning on detaching the filler hose. And the pickup. Removing the floater also. And trying to spray the tank with the pressure washer. Lol. I have several cheap fuel/water seperator filters and I also purchased a RACOR filter that actually has a tank that you can attach a hose to that drains water out.

AllTerrainAngler

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to drain it. Like what kind of hose and pump or whatever

T-N-T

Go to the parts store and buy some clear hose by the foot. Get how ever long you think you will need.

Clear hose is easy to suck on and see when the gas comes up. Cap it with a thumb and stick into a can. Watch it drain out.

Even if you get some in your mouth, you will live. Unless you swallow. Then I regret telling you to do this

It's not that bad. And the clear hose will help you. Don't go sucking like you are getting a milkshake through a crazy strawm. Just slow and steady

sinclair1

They have the clear hose without built in primer bulb at harbor freight :flag:

tsharp

When I had water in my tank I opened the small hatch they had and disconnected the fuel suction hose and installed a new hose and place the end threw the drain plug hole. I then place a clean 5 gallon can and pumped the bulb till fuel came out in the can. It will siphoning itself out it may take some time but it will all come out.