Acidic soil

I have a spot I want to plant with a plot but do not have time to put lime down on. What is a good mix to plant in an area that gets plenty of sun and has acidic soil?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
That's a tuff one, since we don't know how acidic it is and not many deer edible plants, like acidic soils. I would go with something cheap and hope for the best, like cereal rye, wheat or oats and crimson clover, then make a plan for a soil test and lime.

Attachments

• Acidic soils.JPG
    Acidic soils.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 559
  • PH rates.JPG
    PH rates.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 559
I did one on the other end of the property this summer and I believe he PH was 4.8-4.9. Is there any premixed seed to be put out? How would a throw and grow work? Canuck, thanks for all the help your being to this forum.

Canuck5

That's pretty acidic soil and I'd suggest putting down some lime, which will pay dividends in the following years. Lime even before fertilizer.

I'd still suggest you go with something cheap like wheat and crimson clover. I assume this is a small plot?

Throw and mow works good, if you've brought the soils ph up and added the needed minerals to grow a good crop.

Canuck5

CNC is right about rye! I'll just add that with ph where it needs to be, you get a lot more bang for your buck!

Attachments

• Crop yield vs soil ph.JPG
    Crop yield vs soil ph.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 316
Yep the cereal ryes will tolerate it some. If you are unable to lime fresh wood ash turned in before planting can give a quick ph boost. How big of a "spot" are we talking?

Big7

The Oracle
Powdered (out-house) lime will do it
with one decent rain.

That's why it's called "quick lime". ;)

Ihunt

A little pricey but lime pellets are easy to put out. Some being better than none.