308 AR from Palmetto

rjcruiser

Looking at the deals that Palmetto has on their Gen 2 rifles and they're getting more and more attractive. They've got several options on the upper and just wondering what y'all think is best. Gun is going to be used primarily for deer hunting.

They have an 18" stainless barrel and a 20" stainless barrel. Is the 20" worth the extra $75ish? Is it going to be that much more accurate than the 18"? Also, is the m-lok upper worth the extra cost than the standard...the m-lok does look cooler. LOL.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at the deals that Palmetto has on their Gen 2 rifles and they're getting more and more attractive. They've got several options on the upper and just wondering what y'all think is best. Gun is going to be used primarily for deer hunting.

They have an 18" stainless barrel and a 20" stainless barrel. Is the 20" worth the extra $75ish? Is it going to be that much more accurate than the 18"? Also, is the m-lok upper worth the extra cost than the standard...the m-lok does look cooler. LOL.

Friend of mine has the 18", and it's an absolute tack driver. 1"-1 1/2" groups at 200 yards with cheap surplus military ammo. Ragged holes with the good stuff at 100. Been thinking about buying me one myself.

GregoryB.

I got the 20 in barreled upper and a blemished lower.Just got my scope mounts in the mail today. Hope to shoot it this weekend. It is a heavy gun but I don't mind carrying the extra weight. They have some good deals pop up.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Gun is going to be used primarily for deer hunting.

the difference between 18" and 20" may not matter inside 500 yards...you could save there

what do you intend to attach to the M-Lok rail and is what you want to attach available in M-Lok?

red neck richie

This will be my next gun purchase. I'm kind of hesitant to buy one though. I'm afraid my other deer rifles will sit in the safe unused. I have heard good things and am looking forward to shooting one myself.

DYI hunting

18" and 20" will be have the same accuracy unless you're getting into long range shooting. The 18" will be a little more maneuverable. They are a heck of a deal and on my short list of rifles to buy.

abrannon

The big difference, if you can call is big, is about 30-50 FPS difference in the bullet speed. 15-25 FPS per inch depending on Ammo.

The shorter barrel will have a slightly slower projectile.

rjcruiser

I got the 20 in barreled upper and a blemished lower.Just got my scope mounts in the mail today. Hope to shoot it this weekend. It is a heavy gun but I don't mind carrying the extra weight. They have some good deals pop up.

I don't think I'll mind the extra weight...and the stainless over the nitride just looks better imo.

the difference between 18" and 20" may not matter inside 500 yards...you could save there

what do you intend to attach to the M-Lok rail and is what you want to attach available in M-Lok?

Well...the m-lock just looks better So....that's gonna make it shoot better, right? :D

rjcruiser

question for you...what does it weigh? I thought the website would have weight...but it doesn't. They show the 18" weight with the SS lightweight mlok upper @ 8.4lbs. Just curious how much more weight the 20" would give it.

Thinking of the 20" upper with the PSA Gen2 Lower that's $179. Put the two together and have a sweet long range hunting rifle for sub $700.

ryanh487

Barrel length between the two won't matter. But get one with rifle length gas and a rifle buffer tube for the smoothest action and lowest recoil for faster follow up shots.

Buford_Dawg

Could someone link what is being discussed here//

Got a S&W MP 15 223 for Xmas and love shooting it, so if I can get something similar in 308, that sounds good.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Well...the m-lock just looks better So....that's gonna make it shoot better, right? :D

no doubt :D

I have always wanted an M1A but after the bashing it took in the other thread I might have to settle for one of these and stop looking for part to build one.

it also goes tink on the rail of the stand

doomtrpr_z71

I don't particularly care for PSA but the deals they have been running on the ar10s are hard to pass up. I've built a 18 and had to sell it and a friend of mine had a 20in, I'd go 18 max, 16 even better. Ar10s are a bit heavy and the longer barrels don't gain that much. I prefer mlok since its a little more comfortable to shoot with out rail covers than a regular quad rail. The only thing bad about PSA ar10s is some of their lowers don't like 2 stage triggers like geissele.

GregoryB.

I shot mine for the first time today. Didn't have a steady rest, was shooting from a fence post and a stump. Rifle was accurate even with the unstable rest. Trigger could definitely use some work. Lots of creep. May need to invest in a Timney trigger for it. I can see me shooting it quite a bit.

rosewood

The big difference, if you can call is big, is about 30-50 FPS difference in the bullet speed. 15-25 FPS per inch depending on Ammo.

The shorter barrel will have a slightly slower projectile.

A shorter barrel may also have more muzzle report and flash from the shorter barrel. It will depend on the bullet and powder being used.

Rosewood