5hp Briggs and Stratton, no spark

GA native

What happened ?
No oil ?

Plenty of oil. The engine was just shot. I got her all back together, primed the carb with some gas, and after a few pulls, she cranked. Ran for less than ten seconds then made a few loud knocks and stalled out. Shoot, you could barely pull the cord. I didn't bother opening up the engine.

I don't know much about engines, but I know this one is all shot out.

So the tiller goes in the back of the shed for now. And I'm double digging the beds this weekend. I will circle back around to this project over the winter. Maybe splurge on a new Honda. Or more likely just locate a running used Briggs or Tecumseh.

bassboy1

Plenty of oil. The engine was just shot. I got her all back together, primed the carb with some gas, and after a few pulls, she cranked. Ran for less than ten seconds then made a few loud knocks and stalled out. Shoot, you could barely pull the cord. I didn't bother opening up the engine.

I don't know much about engines, but I know this one is all shot out.

So the tiller goes in the back of the shed for now. And I'm double digging the beds this weekend. I will circle back around to this project over the winter. Maybe splurge on a new Honda. Or more likely just locate a running used Briggs or Tecumseh.

Those Harbor Freight engines are pretty much clones of an older Honda, and I'm told they really aren't bad, especially for the cost.

GA native

I had a Lifan motorcycle, for less than a year. The engine was supposed to be a clone of Honda. Sure didn't run like a Honda...

There is a reason the Chinese clone is a third of the price of the real thing. You get what you pay for. And parts are a recreational impossibility to acquire.

Rick Alexander

I've run several

of those Harbor Freight engines on tillers. If you remember to turn off the gas every time and keep gas in them to prevent too much ethanol moisture from forming they will last several years. Works just fine. I do have to bypass the low oil cutoff because the tiller tips too much sometimes and shuts it off but otherwise they work quite well. They run them on sale for $100 often - can't buy a carb now days for that. Get the warrantee - just go get another one when it dies. I just can't see the problem.