Hand-held Spreader for Fertilizer and Oats

Which handheld spreaders hold up the best for spreading fertilizer? I have a Solo spreader that is the nicest hand held spreader I've owned, but even it has some issues dealing with fertilizer. Also, which hand held spreaders handle oats the best? My solo spreader and other spreaders I've used including the BioLogic one took entirely too long to spread oats even on the wide open setting. The oats just seemed to be too big for the spreaders and the rate was slow even though I had it wide open. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GeorgeShu

Oats tend to be kind of sticky and don't flow easily. Unlike many other seeds, oats retain their husk. They lodge up and need either constant jiggling or dilution with other flowable seeds. Might try mixing in wheat or rye grain to get them to flow better.

catch22

earthway times 10. after using with fertilizer make sure to wash it good and then hit it with some silicone spray or other lubricant to keep rust away

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Do you have an atv or good cart? I have a cabelas brand ( made by Moultrie). I've had for a few years now, it does awesome with pelletized like, fertilizer and all types of seed including oats.

1gr8bldr

I just dremeled up my earthway. Ruined for anything but oats. Large oats are way to much trouble even in the Earthway. I don't like having to shake the spreader as I walk to try to dislodge the seed. It helps to cut a plastic bowl. Cut out the sides leaving plenty of side, in a way that it stands up upside down in the hopper as if it has legs. This takes the weight off the oats that are trying to tip over into the hole. If they can't tip, then they dam up. So the bowl causes it to feed from the side with no weight on the seeds. Ever noticed how they don't feed good until you get right to the bottom, almost out, then it feeds perfect.

Killdee

I give up on oats in my earthway, I bought an electric spreader I run on the front of my 4 wheeler and still have to run it wide open and works better mixed with wheat and less than a full hopper. If its not a large plot, you can hand stroke it just fine, go over it it 2-3 directions for even coverage.

Last edited:

Latest posts