Ancient canoe unearthed by Irma

B

BornNRaised

How old do they think it Is?

Just like everything else- the state or feds get it even if ol' Joe shmoe finds it first.

caughtinarut

You can go to Randy Shots facebook page and read about it. I thinkibg that there many items washed up along the Atlantic coast...coins? Ancient sharks teeth

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Years ago I read a NG article that mentioned an account by a man who grew up on the Florida Atlantic coast. He often found flat, black objects along Florida beaches after storms. He said they skipped like crazy when he side-armed them across the water. He later found out they were encrusted pieces of eight silver coins from sunken Spanish galleons. Gil

Pointpuller

Pretty cool find. Im thinking it was made in early 19th century. Appears to have a middle seat with a compartment under it. Probably not built by natives, but thats just a guess.

B

BornNRaised

Years ago I read a NG article that mentioned an account by a man who grew up on the Florida Atlantic coast. He often found flat, black objects along Florida beaches after storms. He said they skipped like crazy when he side-armed them across the water. He later found out they were encrusted pieces of eight silver coins from sunken Spanish galleons. Gil

That's bananas to think about the money he lost.

It wasn't 10's or 20's if it was shipwrecked treasure, that's for sure...you are talking retirement money.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Saw in an article that there were square iron nails in the canoe's seat. Probably settler made.

Latest posts