Good Generators....

HD28

What is a good, reasonably priced 6000-7000 watt generator? Got to get one whenever they become available again. Had new house wired for one with a transfer switch....just haven't got generator yet (and now need it!). Thanks.

rydert

Blue Heeler man
i've got a generac...been very pleased. It doesn't run real quiet, but where i live no one can hear it anyway. If i bought another it would be the same kind....hope this helps

joey1919

What is a good, reasonably priced 6000-7000 watt generator? Got to get one whenever they become available again. Had new house wired for one with a transfer switch....just haven't got generator yet (and now need it!). Thanks.

If i were buying a generator for home back up only I would look for a propane model. 6-7000w will not run your whole house.that size generator would likely have a 50amp connection.

Your water heater is probably a 30 amp and your HVAC is probably bigger. Do have gas at all?

You could get by with a 50amp (I did this week) but you have to be selective about what you run.

If I were looking for a whole home generator I'd look at a generac.

Capt Quirk

Depends on what you consider reasonable. Good generators will run you several grand. I use Harbor Freight, get the warranty, and trade it in when it dies. I am using their 7,000/ 8,500 watt which was like $600. Had maybe 8 of them over the past 8 or 9 years.

In between the HFs, I tried PowerMate. It started having issues after a couple weeks, so I took it back to where I bought it. They said their was nothing wrong with it. I took it back 3 more times, and got the same response, until it seized up completely on them. Took over a year to get it replaced, as they refused to refund.

If you have the money, get a Generac that runs on propane, and has an automatic switch.

i've got a generac...been very pleased. It doesn't run real quiet, but where i live no one can hear it anyway. If i bought another it would be the same kind....hope this helps
This^^^^

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Generac. The 11KW model is around $2,100. You might not be able to run everything on it but all you need is the essentials until power is restored.

I got a small Generac but it works good 6.5 KW and its great. I will tell you when Home Depot and Lowes are out you can get one in 24 hours from Grainger. When the storm is right on you.

Darien1

I used my Power Horse 4000 ES for 5 days with out a hic up. It was very good on gas too. Less than 15 gallons over that time. I got it at Northern Tool. It's rated for electronics and computers and such too. The regular P H 4000 with out the electric start is about $440 right now. I ran my refrigerator, freezer, fans, computers, phones, some lights, TV's TV boxes, Small appliances, coffee pot, what ever I needed short of the stove, central A/C and the hot water heater. Power Horse Generators are the real thing. It has plenty of outlets and I think it's 220 capable too. I wised up and just bought a back up 15100 BTU window A/C for next time.

HD28

I got a small Generac but it works good 6.5 KW and its great. I will tell you when Home Depot and Lowes are out you can get one in 24 hours from Grainger. When the storm is right on you.

I think this is the one I am going to go with.

Thank yall for all the good advice! :type:

I got a secret. Grainger.com. Most large cities have one When Walmart and Lowes are out Grainger can get you one in 24 hours. They sell Generac.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Got a 22kw Generac that runs everything, some of the best $$$ I ever spent. Do it right the first time and be thru with it...

smokey30725

20KW Generac propane whole house backup system. I love mine. Power goes out and it kicks on in about 10 seconds.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I'd recommend one with a Honda motor if you go gas. The big generac's are the way to go for whole house though

rjcruiser

Are all of the main generacs or whole house back ups Propane? Do you have a separate tank for just that? Trying to figure out if I go all electric on my house, do I have a separate propane tank just for the backup generator?

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Are all of the main generacs or whole house back ups Propane? Do you have a separate tank for just that? Trying to figure out if I go all electric on my house, do I have a separate propane tank just for the backup generator?

Not sure if they are ALL propane. I'd think you could get gas. Reread your post. If you go all electric the only propane tank you would need is for the generator. :biggrin2::cheers:now if you did a gas/propane fireplace you could buy a BIG tank

specialk

For the most part yes...until u get up to 40kw plus..then they can b either....and they reccommend a separate tank for the genny.....

HD28

Good info.

I am just looking for a portable, gas emergency generator that will be rolled outside during power outage and plugged into exterior generator outlet I had wired into a transfer panel in my house.

Anyone know anything about Harbor Freight Predator 8750 generators? Good or bad. Thanks.

Capt Quirk

The Predator 8750 is the model I have. It can be good or bad, depending on your luck. We had one die about 2-3 months ago, had it almost 2 years. It was covered under the extended warranty, so I drive out to Macon and exchange it. Get home, and it runs maybe 5 minutes before dying. Head back to Macon and do it again. The one we got is still running fine.

They also have an issue with the gas cap not venting properly, when it gets hot, the tanks inflates like a balloon. When it gets cold, it sucks in.

All in all, as long as you get the warranty, you are good to go. It is a cheap genny, but when it is right, you will get long service. But they do make bad ones.