Suggestions for roofer? Gainesville/Sardis area

Halfhitch

Like many others I’m sure, I need some roof and other work due to trees falling during Irma. We lost 5 very large trees and several smaller ones near the house, but fortunately the big one that actually damaged the roof only hit it directly with the upper limbs. Trees have all been removed. We were lucky that the damage to the house was relatively minor; gutter is gone, a downward sloping crest crushed for about a foot, edge of the sheeting damaged and shingles scattered. Can’t tell if roof was penetrated (it’s about 40 ft. up and I’m too old to be getting up there) but didn’t see a leak in attic during the rain, although I could have missed it.

Since I can’t see the damage up close, I need a roofer I can trust to fairly estimate the damage and give a reasonable quote for the work, as well as do a good job. Have always respected the suggestions of many on the board and hope someone can suggest a good and honest roofer in the area.

We'll also need gutter work (some replaced and another area checked and re-sloped), but that's less critical at the moment.

We’re off Dawsonville Highway, just west of the Lanier bridge closest to Gainesville (Sardis area). Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Halfhitch

Brownhounds,

Thanks for the recommendation. I didn’t check the site yesterday or earlier today as I haven’t gotten but one response, which I appreciate, other than yours since posting and it was via pm. I’ve followed-up on that one and another who we used a couple years ago but seemed high for the work done at the time. Should hear from them both in a day or two. Don’t want to ask a third right now as it isn’t a big job and might be a waste of their time to come out when they are busy with others with storm damage. If these two don’t work out though, I’ll definitely call Greenstar.

If I don’t contact him for this job, in the not too distant future we’ll be thinking about a new roof and I’ll keep him noted for that job as it will be much larger.

Thanks again.

tcward

Contact Jeff Abernathy. Just did mine and my neighbors roof. Lives in North Hall area.

Halfhitch

Thanks. I think the immediate problem is handled but I'll also put Jeff down to contact if it falls through or for a full roof in the not too distant future. Can't have too many good references - others' first hand experience is so much better than just searching the 'yellow pages' or on-line. Others in our s/d may also be reaching out for references and I'll pass them on.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Thanks. I think the immediate problem is handled but I'll also put Jeff down to contact if it falls through or for a full roof in the not too distant future. Can't have too many good references - others' first hand experience is so much better than just searching the 'yellow pages' or on-line. Others in our s/d may also be reaching out for references and I'll pass them on.

If you've got significant damage your insurance company may replace the whole roof. I'd contact them and have an adjuster look at it

Halfhitch

New roof is likely some years away, but I still appreciate the two additional references I have received (Greenstar and Mr. Abernathy), since I keep good references for the future. The two I first contacted provided independent estimates which agreed that the current roof damage is localized and minor (no penetration), looks worse from my vantage point than it actually is, and is only in the $500-800 range for the roof work. The Field Adjuster’s report, which I received yesterday, also agreed and I have confirmed scheduling the work. The tree removal was the expensive part due to their size, entanglement and location relative to the house (required a 90 ton crane to handle them safely) – fortunately I already had a great tree guy who got that done quickly so they could get to the roof. Now only have some minor issues remaining.

Thanks again to everyone that responded.