BBQ cookoff today

GA1dad

Well I competed in my second BBQ cookoff today in Mauldin SC. Took 3rd in pork and 9th in ribs, out of 25 teams. Third place pork came with a right sizable check too! Needless to say, today has been a good day.

Attachments

• 20170923_022241.jpg
    20170923_022241.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 338

naildrvr

Yeah boy, lotta beauty right there!! As they say, persistence pays off. Congrats on your win:banana:

Dub

Outstanding !!!!!!

Glad to hear you did great.

Looks fantastic, too.

That stick burner has a really nice payload. I'd like to hear more about it, too.

That had to be some fun cooking and getting affirmation from the judges that you did it up to their satisfaction.

GA1dad

congrats.

who got to eat all that delicious looking BBQ?

The public ate it all, except for the 9x9 inch box I turned in to the judges. In South Carolina Barbecue Association events, the event hosts provide a case of butts to each team,, that's 8 butts. This insures that every team is starting off with the same quality of meat. In return for providing the meat, each team agrees to hand out 2 ounce sample cups to the public. The public pays $10, which gets them a cup from every team. The public can also buy tickets from the event to use as cash anywhere inside the event,, a dollar a ticket. As there were 25 teams, the public gets over 3 pounds of competition Que for ten bucks. If the public likes a certain offering, they can purchase a quart cup to take home. As I had the capacity, I agreed to cook a couple of extra butts for a total of ten. We sold out in 2 hours. The first 1.5 hours were serving cups. The last half hour we were selling quarts to returning customers. That was the best compliment we could have received.

GA1dad

That stick burner has a really nice payload. I'd like to hear more about it, too.

Thank you Dub!

I call that cooker "Good Time Charlie" as I bought it used in Charleston SC. It was made in Watkinsville GA by Custom Pits & Fabrication LLC. This particular model is called the "Tailgater". It's funny that you comment on it's payload, because it is actually the smallest trailer model they make. This is the most I've ever cooked on it. Ten butts is a awful lot of meat though. The top rack does not have enough height for butts, but is perfect for chicken and ribs. I also cooked four rack of ribs on the top rack.

http://www.custompits.com/

Dub

Thank you Dub!

I call that cooker "Good Time Charlie" as I bought it used in Charleston SC. It was made in Watkinsville GA by Custom Pits & Fabrication LLC. This particular model is called the "Tailgater". It's funny that you comment on it's payload, because it is actually the smallest trailer model they make. This is the most I've ever cooked on it. Ten butts is a awful lot of meat though. The top rack does not have enough height for butts, but is perfect for chicken and ribs. I also cooked four rack of ribs on the top rack.

Thanks for the link.

A reverse flow pit like that would really be nice to have.

Are the temps even enough across the width so you don't have to rotate meat ?

The capacity of that tailgater would do just about right for some of the larger cooks I'd like to do.

GA1dad

Are the temps even enough across the width so you don't have to rotate meat ?

I've never done a biscuit test or anything. But I can tell you this, all ten of those butts came off the cooker within an hour of each other. The extreme right is the hottest, and the extreme left as it comes over the plate is the second hottest. The top rack is a little hotter than the lower. Usually the meat on the right finishes first and I begin shifting everything to the right. If you have some butts that are bigger than the rest, put them in your hot spots and it will help narrow the finish time gaps.

Dub

I've never done a biscuit test or anything. But I can tell you this, all ten of those butts came off the cooker within an hour of each other. The extreme right is the hottest, and the extreme left as it comes over the plate is the second hottest. The top rack is a little hotter than the lower. Usually the meat on the right finishes first and I begin shifting everything to the right. If you have some butts that are bigger than the rest, put them in your hot spots and it will help narrow the finish time gaps.

Sounds great.

The butts I normally buy come in two packs and there is usually a size difference between them so there would be plenty of opportunity to put larger on hot spots.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! Good job! With folks coming back for more, you had to be happy! :cheers:

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
nice congrats

Lindseys Grandpa

Good job . If you have never cooked for a comp you have no idea how much time and work goes into it. Especially with a stick burner.

Dreamer69

Thank you Dub!

I have the same smoker from custom pits. My son used to work there and he made mine for me. I wish now that i could have got the A1 competition smoker. The top rack on the tailgater is only good for ribs or chicken. I have cooked a lot of meals on mine. I have posted some pics here in the past. Congrats on your wins. Everyone tries to get me to enter comps also but I just like smoking meats for fun. Good luck in your future comps.