Any middle/high school parents ?

rospaw

Wife was telling me kids in public Ga schools can listen to music while in class studying/doing work ect. Is this correct?

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I just asked my son and he said yes.. Sometimes..during some classes. This is all news to me. Not during lectures or anything like that.. Just while they're doing their work.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
mine can. he is home schooled

rospaw

I just asked my son and he said yes.. Sometimes..during some classes. This is all news to me. Not during lectures or anything like that.. Just while they're doing their work.

To me this is crazy to let kids listen to music on headphones while studying. We are talk real classes not gym. How can the average student comprehend what they are doing?
Any teachers willing to post their views on this?
Another one that really gets me is this phone thing. The schools allow kids to have cell phone in class/school. Someone tell me a good reason for either. :stir:

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I used to do this, not IN school mind you, but after school while doing my homework. Used to drive dad batty as he couldn't figure it out either but it distracted the part of my brain I wasn't using to focus on what I was doing and kept me from daydreaming

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
It depends on the school and the class being taught. My son had several teachers that made you put your cell phone in a basket on her desk as soon as you walked in the door.

Smart woman.

CAnderson

My son is in middle and has teachers on both ends of the spectrum. One has a basket for phones, where another allows them to listen to music when doing worksheets and as a perk to finishing early with at least an 80 on the worksheet they can play games/watch videos. He's a bit on the hyper side so the music actually helps him focus on the paper then his mind wandering around the class. But he has classmates that can't listen while they work because it does distract them.

Daughter in elementary has even facetimed me from her class when she had a question from the teacher.
It's a new age! They even have school issued laptops in elementary that they do half+ their school work on instead of paper.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
A lot of people assume the public schools are all "government" schools and they're run by robots. There's a lot of control still left at the local level. Every district is different, and most of the time, each school in each district is different. On top of that, good administrators leave choices like this to the classroom teacher. Some have great leeway with in-class technology, others not so much. Be careful not to lump all public schools into the same basket.

As far as how students perform with technology.... what worked in your class 40 years ago doesn't work today. The world has changed and education had to change with it. Just because it's different doesn't mean it won't work.

deerhuntingdawg

I have an 8th grader. I’ll have to ask her....

rospaw

My son is in middle and has teachers on both ends of the spectrum. One has a basket for phones, where another allows them to listen to music when doing worksheets and as a perk to finishing early with at least an 80 on the worksheet they can play games/watch videos. He's a bit on the hyper side so the music actually helps him focus on the paper then his mind wandering around the class. But he has classmates that can't listen while they work because it does distract them.

Daughter in elementary has even facetimed me from her class when she had a question from the teacher.
It's a new age! They even have school issued laptops in elementary that they do half+ their school work on instead of paper.

I have a 6th and 8th grader and both are 90% laptop work. No books at all. :crazy: My son was working on tectonic plates/earth layers and had a question. I said hand me your book. He said What book?( I can't seem to remember that they don't really have books) The teacher says we should use google. :mad: So i go over to the bottom of a cabinet and pull out the old encyclopedias and he spent an 1//2 hour reading about his question then another hour plus about other stuff. (leaning on his own! ) I think i might bring that set back to life in a bookcase in the den.
Yeah, paper is a thing of the past. Heck, my sons handwriting makes a docs handwriting look a work of art! Teachers are fine with the handwriting. :crazy: I'm not! He has been doing 2-3 grade writing exercises for me 4 times a week. I'm just at the stage where i can read a note saying "gone to Jims house to play" :hammers: Teachers DO NOT CARE IF SOMEONE CAN WRITE even print.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I have a 6th and 8th grader and both are 90% laptop work. No books at all. :crazy: My son was working on tectonic plates/earth layers and had a question. I said hand me your book. He said What book?( I can't seem to remember that they don't really have books) The teacher says we should use google. :mad: So i go over to the bottom of a cabinet and pull out the old encyclopedias and he spent an 1//2 hour reading about his question then another hour plus about other stuff. (leaning on his own! ) I think i might bring that set back to life in a bookcase in the den.
Yeah, paper is a thing of the past. Heck, my sons handwriting makes a docs handwriting look a work of art! Teachers are fine with the handwriting. :crazy: I'm not! He has been doing 2-3 grade writing exercises for me 4 times a week. I'm just at the stage where i can read a note saying "gone to Jims house to play" :hammers: Teachers DO NOT CARE IF SOMEONE CAN WRITE even print.

News flash, Practical Application is not taught in High School or College now days. You have to go to a technical school to get anywhere close to that. ;)

rospaw

As far as how students perform with technology.... what worked in your class 40 years ago doesn't work today. The world has changed and education had to change with it. Just because it's different doesn't mean it won't work.
"what worked in your class 40 years ago doesn't work today"
Yes it does! What i learned is still with me and i use it daily. It IS the same stuff! They WAY of learning is different but in no way a better way nowadays. My opinion same kid taught old school to new school, the old school will retain more info aka be a smarter person. New age is to cut cost and time and is NOT BETTER. It's the mighty dollar at work.

But the BASIC needs to be taught Before technology kicks in. Learn to do things with pen and paper first. Learn to write so someone can read it. Learn to work a problem out without a calculator. Master basic things, then get on the tech bandwagon. I'm ok with that.

PappyHoel

In Gwinnett county they play on their phones and iPads all day long. If you're a teacher and take it away you will be at the least reprimanded. Source MIL is a retired Gwinnett county vice principal. The teachers are afraid of students and liability.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

No for my 11th grader but it's private school. They can bring phones to class only when requested by the teacher, which is almost never.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
"what worked in your class 40 years ago doesn't work today"
Yes it does! What i learned is still with me and i use it daily.

I didn't say the information has changed (though a lot of it has). Just the way it's taught.

The world has changed. The jobs waiting for you when you graduated are very different from the jobs waiting for graduates today.

rospaw

In Gwinnett county they play on their phones and iPads all day long. If you're a teacher and take it away you will be at the least reprimanded. Source MIL is a retired Gwinnett county vice principal. The teachers are afraid of students and liability.

Another reason "old school" was better. The roles have reversed in some cases. I know i was afraid of my teachers and my teachers were NEVER afraid of me. The respect has gone and it shows/plays out watching what goes on in our younger (under 30) crowd nowadays. You learn to respect at home BUT to keep it in-check, you need others around you to practice it.

Patriot44

Banned
My son is in 5th and he takes his phone to school but doesn't use it. I think that I have gotten maybe two text from him all year. My daughter is a junior in HS, and they use their phones in most classes. They use their phones to research, calculator, etc. The school has wifi.

Both of my kids are home schooled, we just send them to regular school as a social activity. Both are brainiacs and more than likely, if they are on their phone, they are looking at something sciency.

T-N-T

Some can handle it some can't.
I crank the radio at work and can get more done while there is something playing I like to sing.
I have a guy at work that cant write his own name on paper if the stereo is louder than the voices in his head. And that's no exaggeration

Last edited:

PappyHoel

Another reason "old school" was better. The roles have reversed in some cases. I know i was afraid of my teachers and my teachers were NEVER afraid of me. The respect has gone and it shows/plays out watching what goes on in our younger (under 30) crowd nowadays. You learn to respect at home BUT to keep it in-check, you need others around you to practice it.

We learned how to build computers and we knew what made them work(ram/rom/cmos etc). Kids nowadays know how to swipe left or right.

For Christmas this year I have bought all of the components to build a gaming desktop computer. My 8 year old and 6 year old will build it with me and learn what does what and why.

A little off topic I know but I think it's a symptom of the overall problem. Smart phones and iPads have made people stupid.