Help on Fish Finder Set Installation

I will be buying a new boat in the next 30 days and I want to set it up a little better electronically. What I'm thinking is:

A HDS-5 on the console
A HDS-5X on the bow

I won't entertain any nonsense about buying hummingbird to solve this delima, been there, tried that, no thank you.

My question for the lowrance experts is:

What do I need to share two transducers (Normal and StructureScan) with the two units, is the box that comes with the structurescan sufficient or will I have to add another box. Will the normal transducer connect to the SS box (I've researched the websites and can't determine) or will I have to select one or the other to attach the transducer to?

Additionally, where is the best place to attach the structure scan.

Ken

xxstang90

Your gonna want a transducer on your TM. And a transducer on the back of the boat along with the Structure scan transducer. From there both hds units need to be networked to the structure box, the kit comes with one so you will have to purchase one extra. From there its all software you can go into each unit and tell it which transducer you want it to read from. You can change these settings On the fly.

Nothin but Fish

You are welcome to call me and I will be glad to help 404.482.0454. You will network through the Structure Scan box both of the head units which will give you functionality between the 2 HDS and the LSS. I would put a ducer on the trolling motor for the front unit and I would purchase HDS 7 bundle and a HDS 5 sep (the HDS 5 base) so I could have the use of the GPS ant on the front when marking structure.... which would be a better deal. I would purchase the Navionics Prem chart and set the Safety Contours for 33 feet. Call me if I can help.

firefighterfree

I will be buying a new boat in the next 30 days and I want to set it up a little better electronically. What I'm thinking is:

A HDS-5 on the console
A HDS-5X on the bow

I won't entertain any nonsense about buying hummingbird to solve this delima, been there, tried that, no thank you.

My question for the lowrance experts is:

What do I need to share two transducers (Normal and StructureScan) with the two units, is the box that comes with the structurescan sufficient or will I have to add another box. Will the normal transducer connect to the SS box (I've researched the websites and can't determine) or will I have to select one or the other to attach the transducer to?

Additionally, where is the best place to attach the structure scan.

Ken

Be sure to get an extra ethernet cable. You dont have to get an extra SS box unless you want SS at the trolling motor and the transom. No the normal transducer does not connect to the SS box but it connects to the unit itself. Dealing with the 5X it does not have GPS so you could not share waypoints or GPS functions but on the other hand you can share sonar information once netowrked the only thing additional you will need is an ethernet cable. Then take the ethernet cable and hook it from the unit to the SS box on box units. Once both units are hooked up to the SS box you will have to go in and set the units to network sonar

Thanks everyone, that makes sense with what I've been reading, just wanted to make sure. So I need the SS Box/Transducer package, and the two normal transducers that come with the units, one on the stern and one on the trolling motor. Not too interested in sharing waypoints or marking while trolling so I thought the GPS on the console for navigation, once I put the trolling motor in the water all I want is normal sonar and side scan (I fish mostly shallow water lakes and want the SI to look under docks and to find structure off the sides of the boat.

You've all three been a big help.

Thanks,

Ken