Lake Oconee catfish report 8/12(Stormy) pic

chad smith

Lastnight I fished with Neil wyatt also known on the forum as Bust A Hawg and his 2 friends Carey and frank! Well we started catching bait around 6 pm and as soon as we got ready to set up for ol mr. Whiskers a big storm started brewing in the horizon!and It wasn't long before we had to take cover so we headed for the Old Saleem campgrounds! As we were waiting out the lightning storm, frank which is also a volunteer fire fighter had his hip scanner going and all of a sudden It starts going crazy! Lightning was hitting houses all around within a few miles from the lake! As soon as it cleared a little we headed back out to try and salvage what little trip we had left! We hit a shallow flat and within 15
minutes we had 2 huge fish hit 2 rods, roll and come off then we headed for deep water! We fished a deep point next to a 50 ft channel! The catfish were loaded off the point suspended 5-7 ft off the bottom and I told the guys we found them and these fish would bite!so we set up shop and it wasn't 5 minutes and we had a nice blue cat hit one of the front rods with such force I thought it was going to break it out of the drift master! But after a good minute or 2 fight Carey got in a nice Blue cat to the net!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Then it wasnt 2 minutes later the boat shifted and ad soon as we figured what was going on, the other rod in the front did a repeat of the last rod but even harder but as soon as frank got to the rod the fish let go! Then another storm started brewing and the wind starred howling! And the water started whitecaping! We reeled up and try to fish another spot so I went over a nother deep point and the fish were stacked in there also just as the other ! They were suspended 5-7 ft off the bottom! But we couldn't fish it due to the wind! We finally had to call it a night and reschedule and as soon as we got off the water a huge thunder storm hit the lake! What a close call! We fished a total of 1 hr out of a 6 hr trip! Within the 1 hr we lost 3 good fish and got 1 in the boat! What a crazy night!

Last edited:

Bust-A-Hawg

And that's why they call it fishing and not catchin. We'll get em next time.

Migraman

Final disposition of the blue!

Storms and all, I had a lot of fun.

Thanks Chad!

Attachments

• IMG_2030.jpg
    IMG_2030.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 459

chad smith

I look forward to fishing with y'all again! It just sucked that we found the fish but couldn't fish for them due to the wind and storms! We will surely get em next time:)!

Bust-A-Hawg

Carey,

Technically speaking...that's not REALLY the FINAL disposition of that blue...but I'm glad you didn't post a pic of that. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Migraman

Neal,

I mean this from the bottom of my heart:

You ain't right.