Need a good scope for my new gun

cpaboy

I just bought a new Win Model 70 7MM WSM and I want to put a good scope on it for around $200 or less. What do you recommend? Someone suggested a Simmons Aetec, but I'm not sold on it. I have a Cabela's brand (Pine Ridge) on my .270 and I don't have much confidence in it even though I have read mixed reviews. Talk to me fast.

Randy

Here we go again. Buy a nice rifle and put a cheap scope on it. You get what you pay for when it comes to glass on a gun. Do you really want a cheap scope on a nice rifle like that? Get a Leupold or better. You will not be happy with less.

GeauxLSU

Though I haven't looked through a new one lately I always liked the Redfield Widefields and you can get a 2-7x X 30 for under $250.
I've got Leupolds on all my hunting rifles.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Buzz

I agree with Randy that it is self defeating to buy a nice rifle and put a cheap scope on it. I have several cheap Savage rifles that have scopes that cost considerably more than I paid for the gun. I can adjust triggers, recrown barrels, bed stocks, etc.; however, with optics you buy a cheap scope it stays a cheap scope.

The cheapest scope I would consider is a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40mm. They can be purchases from www.theopticzone.com in matte finish for $255. That's a really nice piece of glass for that price. My personal pick is the Zeiss Conquest, but it's going to be closer to $400.

Handgunner

I'll echo one more time for Leupold. You can get the Vari-X II's for a bit over $200. You'll not regret it. If you have to wait one more paycheck to afford a better scope, then do so.

Wetzel

I bought a Nikon Prostaff scope a few months ago to put on a Remington Model 7; so far I like it just fine. I paid $119 for the scope on sale, regular price is $149.

I understand and agree with what everyone is saying about buying the best you can afford... That's what I did... ;)

Ramey Jackson

Randy said:
Here we go again. Buy a nice rifle and put a cheap scope on it. You get what you pay for when it comes to glass on a gun. Do you really want a cheap scope on a nice rifle like that? Get a Leupold or better. You will not be happy with less.

What Randy said.

TurkeyCreek

you can get a nikon buckmaster model 3x9-40 for $200

Muygrande

Dude, I'll spend more on the optics than I will the rifle, I've got $1500 scopes on $900 rifles, Don't scrimp on your glass!!! That first or last 10 minutes of light is so precious!! I have some of these leupold's but if you "EVEN" think you can see as good with a Vari-X III as you can with a Swarovski Leica, or Schmidt you're wrong!! SO why in the world would you want a $150-$250 Simmons or Leupie Rifleman on a gun that may be responsible for your success on a once in a lifetime animal???!!!! ::huh: ::huh:

At least put a "GOOD" Leupie on that gun!!!

cpaboy

You guys are passionate about your optics. I never intended to go cheap and I certainly never intended on spending $500 or more. I researched and bought a middle of the ground offering for around $300. Thanks guys for putting me on to The Optic Zone. They beat Cabelas and Bass Pro hands down.

Derek

I have 2 Simmons Aetec's and have never had any isssues with them. My brother just bought a Pentax and has been very happy with it so far.

Guy

Leupold is the scope to get. I have had a Vari XII 3X9 for yeard without a problem. Great scope, decent price.

Of course, the Swarovski and Zeiss are good scopes as well but a lot mor emoney than a Lupy.

Predator56

dont skimp on the optics
you cant shoot what you cant see or what doesnt hold its zero!

Elite 4200, vx-2 or vx-3, conquest, monarch, fullfield II are all good mid priced scopes
the elite 4200 and conquest and possibley the monarch will all be better in lowlight than the leupold--IMO
the conquest has an etched reticle, a feature only available in the scopes mentioned below and also has fixed eye relief

top of the line
zeiss, swarovski, and schmidt & bender :shoot:

Gentleman4561

Spend as much money as you can on the scope the more you spend the better it will be

BookHound

You know the difference between a European hunter and an American hunter? The European hunter will have the $150 rifle and the $1000 scope. The American hunter has the $1000 rifle with the $150 scope. :bounce:

That is meant as a joke, but often it is true.

Mark