Old house demolition and removal

Buford_Dawg

Looking for a rough estimate to tear down and remove all debris from a 1500 square foot ranch style home on unfinished basement on a parcel of land I am looking at in NE Ga. The house is 35+ years old and has not been lived in since 2004 and is in bad shape. Too bad in my opinion to restore.

tad1

permit + certified asbestos removal. EXPENSIVE
Friend with bulldozer and Dumpsters. Much Cheaper....

I wonder if a local fire department would burn it down for training exercises or if they still do that kind of thing?
A buddy is dealing with the same situation as you currently.
JT

Stonewall 2

Looking for a rough estimate to tear down and remove all debris from a 1500 square foot ranch style home on unfinished basement on a parcel of land I am looking at in NE Ga. The house is 35+ years old and has not been lived in since 2004 and is in bad shape. Too bad in my opinion to restore.

What county is the property in. I have a good friend that maybe interested if not too far from his home in Madison Co.

westcobbdog

I do a few tear downs and recently a large cedar contemp with a huge poured wall basement was 18-20k to tear down and completely remove. Guessing 10k in this scenario.

ryanh487

ashes are a lot easier to move than debris. you can even hose them right into the soil. just sayin...

rospaw

You would be surprised what a good all around small contractor could do. I seen some sure enough in my opinion "tear downs" that were turned into nice homes.

1500 with basement, cleaned lot, my guess all in from permit to seed 16k.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Unless it has extensive water and or termite damage it might be worth selling the house only to be moved or torn down.Less for you to deal with if you rebuild.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
In Kansas, you could burn any structure you owned with proper permits and precautions.
Helped friends do it dozens of times.
It was only illegal if there was a lien on it or you tried to collect insurance.
I'm not a Georgia expert so I'll watch responses.
I would think you should be able to rub 4 dollars together and make it go away.

SASS249

Burning always comes up. In Georgia for a fire department to legally burn a structure for training:

A certification that the structure is free of asbestos must be obtained.

All wiring and all shingles must be removed.

Fire must be for legitimate training. If the fire department is not actively working to suppress the fire it is not a training exercise.

When done legally the house is seldom reduced to ashes.

Bottom line is that it does not save you as much as you may think.

Now I know houses get burned where none of the above occurs. The problem for you though is if someone complains and the EPD has to investigate and determines that the fire department was not conducting a legitimate training or that you just burned it yourself the situation gets ugly and expensive fast.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I do a few tear downs and recently a large cedar contemp with a huge poured wall basement was 18-20k to tear down and completely remove. Guessing 10k in this scenario.

Same number I was thinking for the description in the op. I had a 2000sf double wide office trailer with porch and parking slab demolished ang grass sown for $5k Last year

Last edited:

Patriot44

Banned
5K. Been down this road back in 2009. A "friend with a mini trac hoe and 11 dumpsters".

GA native

$10K to demolish. Or you pour $10K into rehabbing that structure, and you got yourself a spiffy 1500 sqft shop. With hot and cold running water, HVAC, a carport for your toys, a kitchen.

And rehab doesn't have to happen all at once. When the wife's dream home is built, have the roofers and siding contractors fix the exterior. Repair the exterior and make it water tight. Then you can tear out non-structural interior walls, repair, and rewire at your leisure.

A new 1500 sqft shop will run around $50k. Unless that old shack has a tree laying through the middle of it, it seems worth saving to me.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
5K. Been down this road back in 2009. A "friend with a mini trac hoe and 11 dumpsters".

11-30 yard dumpsters will run you $4500 today. Not only asbestos but legally your supposed to test for lead. Lead removal costs as much as asbestos

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I'm paying $302.50 for a 30 yard can in Athens.

You should be able to get that 1,550 sq foot house in three cans. You tear down with a back hoe, loaded with a CTL with grapples and smash it down in the dumpster with the hoe bucket.

The slab and basement walls are another story. That is a lot of concrete. If the walls have tied steel in them someone will have to do some rebar cutting.

The cheapest way to get rid of the concrete(other than a big hole) is at an inert landfill. Here we pay $55 for a tandem dump truck load at the land fill. Plus truck time.

Between the basement slab, garage slab and walls you could have 6-10 loads of concrete.

If you are in a municipality like Athens they will be on you for lead, asbestos, ect. If not, it's smooth sailing. One time we had a house on a development site(the site is in an un named municipality) that need to go. On Monday I as Jimmy "Where's the house?" Jimmy said "What house?" Sweet!

edit: I did a large driveway tear out 7 or 8 years ago. I put an ad on CL offering free concrete fill. I had several replies. We hauled it to a guy's house and dumped it in his ravine for erosion control.