Another bill changing the deer regulations introduced

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Good. They are finally getting around to DMAP.

ALB

I think our season is already too long. This will continue to lower our deer population.

shdw633

I think our season is already too long. This will continue to lower our deer population.

I would have liked to seen it go to an archery only in January during that last month.

lampern

What does this mean? I read it but don't fully understand? :huh:

I could be wrong but it seems:

Extends deer season to last day in January

Creates statewide coon and oppossum season dates

Creates DMAP program to help landowners manage deer

ryanh487

It looks to me that it removes the sex specific harvest limits and replaces it with a 12 deer either sex total, unless I'm missing something. It also eliminates the 1 buck with at least 4 on one side rule.

lampern

It looks to me that it removes the sex specific harvest limits and replaces it with a 12 deer either sex total, unless I'm missing something. It also eliminates the 1 buck with at least 4 on one side rule.

It does seem that way on second glance.

Giving landowners more control on deer management?

ryanh487

If someone just has to kill 12 deer, I'd rather see it be mostly bucks than does in the area I hunt. Either way it would be irresponsible for the herd in the area but at least there would be enough fawns the next year to replace most of them if the does were left alone.

shdw633

That's only if your land is enroll in the DMAP program and then the state (DNR/WRD official) or a consultant evaluates your property and determines what your harvest should be if I am not mistaken. It's not a blank check for you to harvest what you want if you're land is not enrolled in the program. Though I am not up to speed totally on the program so elfiii correct me if I am wrong.

ryanh487

That's only if your land is enroll in the DMAP program and then the state (DNR/WRD official) or a consultant evaluates your property and determines what your harvest should be if I am not mistaken. It's not a blank check for you to harvest what you want if you're land is not enrolled in the program. Though I am not up to speed totally on the program so elfiii correct me if I am wrong.

No, that's the language of the bill for deer seasons and limits. the DMAP portion is just added to the end of everything, it is not the entirety of the bill.

Chase4556

If someone just has to kill 12 deer, I'd rather see it be mostly bucks than does in the area I hunt. Either way it would be irresponsible for the herd in the area but at least there would be enough fawns the next year to replace most of them if the does were left alone.

I never have fully understood this. So maybe after I explain my thoughts you can explain yours.

Everyone says shoot more bucks, less does. Lets assume for this example its November. Pre-rut.

Here is my take. If I shoot a doe, that doe may have been bred soon, meaning she could have twins... so if I shoot that doe, that possibly took 3 deer from my herd for next season.

If I shoot a buck, he may have bred 3 does. That means I keep 6 possible deer from being introduced to my herd, plus kill the buck. So a 7 deer loss.

But you may say, "Another buck will breed those three does!" Well, that's not always true, and if I keep killing the bucks, my buck numbers are dwindling. Soon I may have more does than the bucks can breed.

I am NOT a pro on this.. but its my thought process. I'm sure someone much more well versed in deer population and what not can give facts on why it may be better to kill bucks than does.

However, I will say this. In Texas, we have 208ac of low fence land. We are a 1 buck county... can only kill one a year. We also have to get permits to take does(just how our county works). We usually take a few does during bow season(no permit needed) and after they fill the freezer, we may not fill our buck tag. I'd say on average we have about 12 does and 4 bucks taken off our property every year by my dad and his buddy, and any guests they may bring up there. Maybe 7 hunters total. 3 to 1 ratio, and our bucks are thriving and doing very well.

ryanh487

I never have fully understood this. So maybe after I explain my thoughts you can explain yours.

Everyone says shoot more bucks, less does. Lets assume for this example its November. Pre-rut.

Here is my take. If I shoot a doe, that doe may have been bred soon, meaning she could have twins... so if I shoot that doe, that possibly took 3 deer from my herd for next season.

If I shoot a buck, he may have bred 3 does. That means I keep 6 possible deer from being introduced to my herd, plus kill the buck. So a 7 deer loss.

But you may say, "Another buck will breed those three does!" Well, that's not always true, and if I keep killing the bucks, my buck numbers are dwindling. Soon I may have more does than the bucks can breed.

I am NOT a pro on this.. but its my thought process. I'm sure someone much more well versed in deer population and what not can give facts on why it may be better to kill bucks than does.

However, I will say this. In Texas, we have 208ac of low fence land. We are a 1 buck county... can only kill one a year. We also have to get permits to take does(just how our county works). We usually take a few does during bow season(no permit needed) and after they fill the freezer, we may not fill our buck tag. I'd say on average we have about 12 does and 4 bucks taken off our property every year by my dad and his buddy, and any guests they may bring up there. Maybe 7 hunters total. 3 to 1 ratio, and our bucks are thriving and doing very well.

A doe will go into heat multiple times until she is bred, hence the secondary rut. A buck will travel miles looking for hot does, and buttons travel up to 5 miles from where they were born after separating from their mothers. More bucks will always move onto the property if there are does and food.

NCMTNHunter

I may be wrong but I don't think this type of legislation actually sets the seasons and bag limits. It just sets boundaries. For example it says that the "maximum" deer season dates are sep 8 - jan 31. I interpret this to mean that deer season cannot start before sep 8 and run longer than jan 31. This does not have to be the actual season date but they must be within these maximums.

Same for the bags limits. The bag limit for deer does not have to be 12 per day and 12 per season but it can be no more than that.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

You're on the money. :cool:

If you parse the bill carefully what they are doing is defining hunting seasons by defining the dates you may not hunt specific species.

Code Section 27-3-15 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to hunting seasons
10 and bag limits, promulgation of rules and regulations by board, possession of more than the
11 bag limit, and reporting number of deer killed, is amended by revising subsections (a), (b),
12 and (g), as follows:
13 "(a) It shall be unlawful to hunt the following game species at any time during the periods
14 set forth below:

21 (4) Deer
Feb. 1 — Sept. 7

In other words it is illegal to hunt deer from Feb 1 to Sep 7.

WRD is charged with setting the season dates per OCGA. Also, per OCGA deer season is defined as X number of days. So, bottom line, WRD has to make the season fit between the dates of Sep 8- Jan 31.

ryanh487

I may be wrong but I don't think this type of legislation actually sets the seasons and bag limits. It just sets boundaries. For example it says that the "maximum" deer season dates are sep 8 - jan 31. I interpret this to mean that deer season cannot start before sep 8 and run longer than jan 31. This does not have to be the actual season date but they must be within these maximums.

Same for the bags limits. The bag limit for deer does not have to be 12 per day and 12 per season but it can be no more than that.

The current bill language establishes a bag limit of 10 antlerless and 2 antlered deer, 1 of which must have 4 points greater than 1" on one side. That language is stricken in this bill and only the 12 deer limit remains. Congress sets the bag limit, not DNR. DNR can only control either sex days.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

No. What it does is define daily and season possession limits. Accordingly, on any one day the maximum number of whitetail deer you can have in your possession is 12 and the season possession limit is 12.