What's gnawing on my trailer

Rabun

Any idea what kind of critter is doing this to my aluminum trailer? This is a tail light flange.

Attachments

• Trailer gnawing.JPG
    Trailer gnawing.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 864

kc65

maybe tree rats, they are eating the top rings on my chainlink fence...

MikeyD6

Deleted
Supposedly squirrels chew aluminum. You can smear some really insane hot sauce on it to keep them from chewing it any more. That's crazy though, that flange looks thick.

Rabun

Supposedly squirrels chew aluminum. You can smear some really insane hot sauce on it to keep them from chewing it any more. That's crazy though, that flange looks thick.

It is/was pretty thick, but they gnawed the edge down to where it's so thin it will cut you. Rather have him chew on that than wiring though. I was thinking it may be squirrels...it was just the right height for a squirrel to reach from the ground. The one on the other side is higher up due to slope of yard and hasn't been touched.

ryanh487

hook up a 12 volt battery to it when it's in storage. he'll quit that habit in a hurry. put out a video trail camera too, because his last visit ought to be hilarious.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s either cat squirrels or flying squirrels, or both. They love to chew on aluminum.

Teh Wicked

coat it in Vaseline and then sprinkle Cayenne pepper on the jelly...The squaker will get his little paws covered in it and then try and clean it off with his mouth...Wont take long to get rid of them.

Rabun

hook up a 12 volt battery to it when it's in storage. he'll quit that habit in a hurry. put out a video trail camera too, because his last visit ought to be hilarious.

That does sound interesting...and effective...and hilarious all at the same time :)

Rabun

coat it in Vaseline and then sprinkle Cayenne pepper on the jelly...The squaker will get his little paws covered in it and then try and clean it off with his mouth...Wont take long to get rid of them.

I think I'll give that a try...Thanks!

Tmpr111

never heard them called that before. Thanks

Ha. Since moving from the sticks of N. FL / S. GA I get asked that often when I talk about squirrels. That’s just what I was raised calling them.

I second the 12v battery option, and video it :)

Scout'nStripers

When I was in the Navy I was stationed out at Miramar, Ca. and worked on F-14 Tomcats back in the 80's. The squirrels would climb up the landing gear of our Tomcats and get into the avionics bays and eat the wiring bundles. It was so bad we had to build special metal cones to put on the landing gear to keep the squirrels from climbing up the landing gear. The cones fixed the problem. Them suckers love chewing on metal.

across the river

That wouldn't work like you think it would for a multitude of reasons.

cumberland

Those squirrels may show up with Alzheimer's if they are chewing on aluminum.